ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best JAVA IDE

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
So no IntelliJ users?

Looking for an excuse to try it :)-ewemoa (February 11, 2013, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
<duck-and-cover>
Well, it's commercial software, so it's bound to be better than both Eclipse and NetBeans - isn't that excuse enough? ;P
</duck-and-cover>

Ath:
So no IntelliJ users?

Looking for an excuse to try it :)
-ewemoa (February 11, 2013, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tried it a few months ago, but I was so totally baffled on how to use it, even after being 'nurtured' by NetBeans, I un-installed it 5 minutes after first try. :-[
I.O.W.Total crap. 8)

ewemoa:
Thanks for the comments.

Recently I've been using Eclipse to follow some Android tutorials.  I haven't had that much difficulty with it (except for a strange incident when it stopped recognizing the ADT plugin) but I noticed the author of RoboGuice spoke highly of IntelliJ in a talk so I started looking for comparisons between that and Eclipse.

A brief search seemed to indicate that Eclipse has more (and more up-to-date) plugins and tends to be supported earlier than IntelliJ (if the latter gets support at all).  Core-functionality-wise I got the impression that they aren't all that different from each other with more comments about IntelliJ being less confusing to use than Eclipse (may be it's just a matter of what one is used to...).

On a non-Java note, I'm looking into Scala and noticed that IntelliJ has some kind of support and there's this plugin(?) for Eclipse: http://scala-ide.org/ -- has any one had experience and opinions on the latter?

f0dder:
A brief search seemed to indicate that Eclipse has more (and more up-to-date) plugins and tends to be supported earlier than IntelliJ (if the latter gets support at all).-ewemoa (February 12, 2013, 04:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
How many plugins do you need - what kind of plugin quality do you need? :)

Core-functionality-wise I got the impression that they aren't all that different from each other with more comments about IntelliJ being less confusing to use than Eclipse (may be it's just a matter of what one is used to...).-ewemoa (February 12, 2013, 04:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
What I hear from the coworkers that praise IntelliJ is that it's "more powerful" - stuff like better refactoring support, and tooling for various frameworks (the latter probably mostly important if you work on larger/commercial projects). Also, (at the expense of somewhat slow startup time?) it's supposedly a fair bit faster than Eclipse at doing refactorings, project-wide searches (not just full-text search but semantic searches), et cetera.

On a non-Java note, I'm looking into Scala and noticed that IntelliJ has some kind of support and there's this plugin(?) for Eclipse: http://scala-ide.org/ -- has any one had experience and opinions on the latter?-ewemoa (February 12, 2013, 04:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
My general impression is that Scala tooling is still pretty rought around the edges in general. I took the Coursera Functional Programming Principles in Scala course, using Eclipse. It was a major PITA to get the right plugin versions set up - nightly vs. semistable channels, and different versions (for different versions of Scala) added to that mix. Also, I had some weird fluke-outs where Eclipse wouldn't recognize scala files, or would throw very weird errors, or where the Scala Worksheet would mess up and be wonky.

The Scala Worksheet is very cool though, it's like a REPL on steroids. Useful while learning, and beyond that too.

I see that the most recent version of IntelliJ has support for the Play 2 framework. The Eclipse support for Views was basically non-existing, at least as of a couple of months ago.

ewemoa:
Thanks for the detailed comments :)

That course looks interesting -- it looks like it's taught by the creator of Scala.  The Worksheet does sound neat -- thanks for mentioning it.

I ended up installing IntelliJ on a *nix and am slowly trying it out -- so far it doesn't seem too confusing.  What I'm after at the moment is writing tests for Android apps using RoboSpecs (Specs2 + Robolectric).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version