ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

It's official - Linux Foundation Secure Boot System Released

(1/5) > >>

40hz:

Since I'm still getting up to speed on Secure Boot, consider this nothing more than an FYI post. :)

Linux Foundation Secure Boot System Released
Posted on 8 February 2013 by jejb   

As promised, here is the Linux Foundation UEFI secure boot system.  This was actually released to us by Microsoft on Wednesday 6 February, but with travel, conferences and meetings I didn’t really get time to validate it all until today.  The files are here

PreLoader.efi (md5sum 4f7a4f566781869d252a09dc84923a82)
    HashTool.efi (md5sum 45639d23aa5f2a394b03a65fc732acf2)

I’ve also put together a mini-USB image that is bootable (just dd it on to any USB key; the image is gpt partitioned, so use the whole disk device).  It has an EFI shell where the kernel should be and uses gummiboot to load.  You can find it here (md5sum 7971231d133e41dd667a184c255b599f).

To use the mini-USB image, you have to enroll the hashes for loader.efi (in the \EFI\BOOT directory; actually gummiboot) as well as shell.efi (in the top level directory).  It also includes a copy of KeyTool.efi which you have to enrol the hash of to run as well.
--- End quote ---

Read full article and find download links here.

zridling:
Now that MS has both feet in the manufacturing business, it should limit its boot schemes to its own hardware, not the entire PC industry's. I had no problem loading openSUSE last Fall, but I shouldn't even be allowed to buy a UEFI-enabled motherboard when building my own system.
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gummiboot

f0dder:
but I shouldn't even be allowed to buy a UEFI-enabled motherboard when building my own system.-zridling (February 09, 2013, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
...what?

Josh:
but I shouldn't even be allowed to buy a UEFI-enabled motherboard when building my own system.-zridling (February 09, 2013, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
...what?
-f0dder (February 09, 2013, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

What ^ he ^ said

Renegade:
Can someone distill the implications here? I've got my own take, but it may be skewed as I don't really like being controlled...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version