ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Agent Ransack 2010 freeware lightweight - Desktop Search

<< < (5/5)

tomos:
I see they're very generous and allow commercial use of the Lite version :up:

if I just want to find where I put a particular file, or whether program X is on my computer, Everything is marvellous.  But if I don't remember the filename, or I'm not interested in the filename but rather in the content, FileLocatorPro is terrific.  It doesn't take up time and resources indexing, and its searches can be exquisitely fine-tuned.  Though it can take a long time, I'm at times pleasantly surprised at how fast it finds what I'm looking for.
-cyberdiva (February 08, 2013, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

did you use the free version first cyberdiva?
just wondering do you remember what prompted you to get the pro version?

This seems like a biggie (just in pro version):
More precision with enhanced Boolean expressions
supporting NEAR, LIKE, wildcards and sub expressions
--- End quote ---

Comparision page:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?page=features&type=filelocatorlite

And if you came across any weak points in your use of it (thanks!)
[edit] apologies - it sounds like I'm asking for a mini review! I'm not btw :D - I'm just curious [/edit]

(I've always wanted to get a decent 'full' search app but I would use it relatively little so it didnt really justify the investment. And I never got around to installing any of the free ones - but also kept hearing stories that put me off them.)

cyberdiva:
did you use the free version first cyberdiva?
just wondering do you remember what prompted you to get the pro version?

This seems like a biggie (just in pro version):
More precision with enhanced Boolean expressions
supporting NEAR, LIKE, wildcards and sub expressions
--- End quote ---

Comparision page:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?page=features&type=filelocatorlite

And if you came across any weak points in your use of it (thanks!)
-tomos (February 09, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I did start with the free version.  I think the enhanced search capabilities of the Pro version appealed to me, though I think when I made the switch the differences between the two versions may have been more pronounced than they are now.   As for weaknesses, the only weakness I've noticed--and it applies to both the Pro and the Lite versions--is that both are at times substantially slower than search programs that index one's files.  But I never found an indexing search engine that I liked as much as I like FileLocatorPro (or Lite).  For me, the indexing programs had several drawbacks.  Often, they included only a limited number of file extensions.  Also, I wasn't delighted with having an indexing program always running.  Some allowed me to turn the indexing off and index only when I asked them to, but that resulted in there being files they knew nothing about.  Also, in at least one case, the index was humongous. 

I still have one indexing search program on my computer, an old copy of Yahoo Desktop Search, which indexes only when I tell it to.  However, I rarely use it.  I find my needs are well met by Everything and FileLocatorPro. 

Tinman57:
I still have one indexing search program on my computer, an old copy of Yahoo Desktop Search, which indexes only when I tell it to.  However, I rarely use it.  I find my needs are well met by Everything and FileLocatorPro. -cyberdiva (February 09, 2013, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I turned off all indexing services on my computer and search software and it runs much faster.  In the long run, unless you do massive searches everyday (ie; searching the whole drive instead of folders), indexing will take up more of your time than the occasional search without indexing.
  BTW, I've been using Agent Ransack for years now.  Much faster than the OS search with a lot more search options and easier to use....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version