ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

On data storage and applications going cloud (Surfulater, Mindjet et al.)

<< < (5/5)

dr_andus:
the competition have some ideas :) (this mainly about price and number of licenses):
http://softmaker.com/english/blog/?p=435
-tomos (February 07, 2013, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

The single machine license Office 2013 is another desperate attempt on MS's part to squeeze its lemon cash cow (sorry for mixed metaphors) and push people towards its subscription-based cloud model. I can't see how it can possibly be a good thing for them to do. Office apps are already becoming less relevant, competition such as the FREE LibreOffice is getting better all the time, and why would you want to upgrade if you already have Office 2010? To give students a single machine license will just push students (the future generation of office workers!) not to bother with MS Office at all. There are increasingly fewer reasons why they should need MS Office anyway.

cyberdiva:
To give students a single machine license will just push students (the future generation of office workers!) not to bother with MS Office at all. There are increasingly fewer reasons why they should need MS Office anyway.
-dr_andus (February 08, 2013, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1.  I was frankly astonished at what seems to me a very wrongheaded move on MS's part.  Then again, I decided years ago that I didn't need MS Office and moved to SoftMaker Office.  I've been very pleased.

Dormouse:
The single machine license Office 2013 is another desperate attempt on MS's part to squeeze its lemon cash cow (sorry for mixed metaphors) and push people towards its subscription-based cloud model. I can't see how it can possibly be a good thing for them to do. -dr_andus (February 08, 2013, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1.  I was frankly astonished at what seems to me a very wrongheaded move on MS's part.  -cyberdiva (February 08, 2013, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

+2.
Seems as if the proportion of totally wrongheaded moves by MS has increased hugely since BG shifted his attention to his charitable work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version