ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mp3 File Format Issue Split From Silly Humor Thread

<< < (5/6) > >>

f0dder:
Well, it works both ways in Trout, for me. I am a little behind on the updates (1.0.4 build 93), if that makes any difference.-app103 (February 05, 2013, 11:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Could you try the most recent version? If that still works, could you try using a hex editor (HxD is pretty nice if you don't have on lying around) to overwrite the "WAVE" header string with something else, and see if it still works? Also, is this a freshly re-downloaded version of Define.wav, or have you had it open in any other application after changing extension to .mp3?

Perhaps we can get Skwire to comment on how he parses files... and perhaps we can get mouser to cut all the file-discussion from this thread and put it into a new one :-)

app103:
Could you try the most recent version?
-f0dder (February 06, 2013, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Still works.

If that still works, could you try using a hex editor (HxD is pretty nice if you don't have on lying around) to overwrite the "WAVE" header string with something else, and see if it still works?
--- End quote ---

Now it doesn't.

Also, is this a freshly re-downloaded version of Define.wav, or have you had it open in any other application after changing extension to .mp3?
--- End quote ---

Started with a fresh copy for this little experiment.

f0dder:
Thanks for your testing, app!

Since it doesn't work when you nuke the WAVE header, my guess is your version parses as .wav, regardless of the file extension. If you load the pristine copy into trout with .wav and .mp3 extensions, does it show the same information for both? It's weird that our versions (seem to!) handle things differently, as I couldn't find anything in the changelog that suggests file parsing has been changed between our respective versions.

Anyway, I get the following results:

Certainly seems to me as if trout tries to parse the file as .mp3 based on the file extension, but fails since it isn't mp3?

EDIT: just grabbed a copy of FFmpeg, which has built-in (rather than codec) support for TrueSpeech - it's able to play back the .wav file, and the player indeed also identifies it as TrueSpeech (and doesn't care about .wav vs .mp3 extension, so it's parsing the file contents).
Mp3 File Format Issue Split From Silly Humor Thread

app103:
Here is how it looks here:

Fresh clean unmodified copy, with both .wav and .mp3 file extensions, loaded into the latest version of Trout.

app103:
Your FFmpeg screenshot mentions the file being created with GoldWave, which is not the sndrec.exe which shipped with Win95 that Tinman says he created the file in. I am guessing it was an older version of this app that he used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version