ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mp3 File Format Issue Split From Silly Humor Thread

<< < (4/6) > >>

Tinman57:
Was it made on a stock system with no extra codecs installed, using only software or components that ships with Windows? -app103 (February 02, 2013, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's been soooooo long ago.  I encoded these years ago, back in the W95 days.  The reason I'm thinking it was already a codec in Windows is because I used sndrec.exe to encode, which is the original default .wav sound player.  I renamed the file to .mp3 and Windows Media Player won't play it, so I don't know what you did.
  What this codec does, you select any .wav that's been encoded, and no matter what player you use, whether it supports .mp3 or not, it will play it as a normal .wav.  I only used it for all the small sound files that cluttered up the system's "Media" folder in W95, including the Windows system sound files.  If I remember correctly, any .wav file above 30Kb could be encoded.  And of course, depending on what bitrate you select is how big the file is going to be.  For the normal Windows sounds, which were all mono, could be crunched down quite a bit before you would notice any difference.  During the period, this codec would make much smaller files than the normal .mp3, even at the same bitrate.

f0dder:
It's been soooooo long ago.  I encoded these years ago, back in the W95 days.  The reason I'm thinking it was already a codec in Windows is because I used sndrec.exe to encode, which is the original default .wav sound player.-Tinman57 (February 03, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
That must've been because you installed the fraunhofer (aka l3enc) codec - and a commercial version, at that? Can't remember which Windows version introduced MP3 codec support, but iirc it was decode-only. For some reason, I don't have sndrec32 on any of my Windows VMs, so I can't check out if it let you specify codec on save.

I renamed the file to .mp3 and Windows Media Player won't play it, so I don't know what you did.-Tinman57 (February 03, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
It has a WAVE header - some programs would try to interpret that and ignore the file extension (and then fail when you don't have the specified codec installed). Other will interpret as mp3, but will expect the file to start with an MP3 frame (or an ID3 tag).

During the period, this codec would make much smaller files than the normal .mp3, even at the same bitrate.-Tinman57 (February 03, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Given the same bitrate and method (which was Constant Bit Rate back in those days), that's simply impossible. Back in the early days (after the very early days, when it was the only codec around), the Fraunhofer codec had better quality than competing codecs, at least at lower bitrates. But constant bitrate means constant bitrate - same size, but possibly difference in quality, depending on psychoacoustics.

EDIT: curiosity got the better of me - interested me that nothing wanted to eat it as "mp3", even with the WAVE header removed, and I was a bit puzzled that I couldn't find a frame sync word. So, I downloaded GSpot to inspect the file, and it says the codec is DSP Group TrueSpeechw@8KHz... no wonder nothing wants to play it back as mp3 :)

app103:
EDIT: curiosity got the better of me - interested me that nothing wanted to eat it as "mp3", even with the WAVE header removed, and I was a bit puzzled that I couldn't find a frame sync word. So, I downloaded GSpot to inspect the file, and it says the codec is DSP Group TrueSpeechw@8KHz... no wonder nothing wants to play it back as mp3 :)

-f0dder (February 05, 2013, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had no troubles getting Trout to play it as MP3.  ;)

f0dder:
I had no troubles getting Trout to play it as MP3.  ;)-app103 (February 05, 2013, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Doesn't work for me, neither with .wav nor .mp3 extension (trout v1.0.6). With .mp3 extension, it does seem to try to parse it as mp3 rather than wav (given that bitrate, sample, channels and length are all wrong), the specs for the .wav version look sane - but can obviously not be played since I don't have the codec installed.

app103:
Well, it works both ways in Trout, for me. I am a little behind on the updates (1.0.4 build 93), if that makes any difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version