ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Free Nationwide WiFi

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
asking someone who knows more about them, e.g. 40hz.
-Renegade (February 06, 2013, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

40hz has nothing positive to say about Mark Shuttleworth or Canonical any more. They are fallen angels AFAIC.

I consider their recent behaviors to be some of the most potentially disruptive threats ever facing Linux in particular and F/OSS as a whole.

Tinman57:

Can the FCC Create Public "Super WiFi Networks"?

Contrary to some recent suggestions in the media, the government is not creating its own "super WiFi network." But its plans will indeed make awesome new WiFi networks possible. Technically, what the FCC is actually trying to do is increase the amount of open spectrum that is available for WiFi networks of all sorts, and for other "unlicensed" uses. This is a very good idea. Increasing the amount of unlicensed spectrum will lead to better functioning routers, tablets, laptops, and smartphones--and to a host of other new products in the marketplace.
--- End quote ---

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/fcc-public-super-wifi-networks

Joe Hone:
Free Wifi was added to my old hometown of Riverside, California in 2007 - available to about 300,000 people. When I go back to visit I take along my laptop and find that it works quite well, has minimal ads, and the speed is about average when compared to airports, restaurants, etc. There isn't much discussion about municipality cost locally, it is just there if you want to tie into it. A good idea/service in my opinion. If a national service had similar performance I'd use it.

barney:
Oh god... sigh... Yeah, I suppose that I'm just not all that up-to-date on self-destructive behaviour...
-Renegade (February 06, 2013, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Naw, you just stick you fist(s) through car windows  :P :P.  (Ever see the beginning of Karate Kid II?)

Free national wi-fi would scare me silly - sillier? - because of the snooping/tracking/tracing capabilities.  I won't connect to wi-fi at local shops.  And I'm hesitant even to use my phone as a tether.  (Yeah, I know I'm paranoid ... I just wonder if I'm paranoid enough.  And I'm aware that can happen via my ISP  :( >:( :o.)  Federal/state/local free wi-fi is so open to governmental abuse - at any level! - that 'twould seem to be anathema.

Carol Haynes:
When was the last time you heard about anyone abusing baking soda or dish washing liquid?
-Renegade (February 06, 2013, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL very true - but in the UK you can no longer buy Tartaric Acid (an ingredient used for making drinks like elderflower cordial). Apparently it was used in the London Tube bombers arsenal - along with chapatti flower - though I haven't noticed a shortage of chapattis !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version