ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for Free Linux DNS server

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
Does having "enterprise" in the name make it any better, though?
-f0dder (February 06, 2013, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

It does when it's a 'free' rebuild of  RHEL. ;D

And commercial support for CentOS has been available for some time.

Purpose of CentOS

CentOS exists to provide a free enterprise class computing platform to anyone who wishes to use it. CentOS 2, 3, and 4 are built from publically available open source SRPMS provided by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policies and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.). CentOS is designed for people who need an enterprise class OS without the cost or support of the prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor.

Neither the CentOS Project (we who build CentOS) nor any version of CentOS is affiliated with, produced by, or supported by the prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. Neither does our software contain the upstream vendor's product ... although it is built from the same open source SRPMS as the upstream enterprise products.
--- End quote ---

Note: by agreement, RedHat is never to be explicitly named in anything CentOS publishes, hence the "prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor" reference. ;)

All that said, Debian, installed as a server, is a fine choice too.

Of course if you really had a big pair, you could also do a complete custom solution based on Arch. That would muy Macho and good for serious bragging rights come next Friday over pizza with the geeks!
 ;D :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Does having "enterprise" in the name make it any better, though?
-f0dder (February 06, 2013, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
It does when it's a 'free' rebuild of  RHEL. ;D

And commercial support for CentOS has been available for some time.-40hz (February 06, 2013, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
I knew about that - my point was more along the lines of if you're not getting the full support package directly from the vendor, how much value do you get from CentOS vs. "something else"? Most people I've heard running RHEL isn't so much because of RHEL itself, but for
1) the direct vendor support
2) direct vendor support for 3rd party licensed products (whOracle).

Of course if you really had a big pair, you could also do a complete custom solution based on Arch. That would muy Macho and good for serious bragging rights come next Friday over pizza with the geeks!-40hz (February 06, 2013, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
...and a "thanks for your time, you can go find a new job now" notice if you did it in an enterprise :)

(Arch's a decent enough distro, I've ran it myself - but it's an "I like to fiddle" distro where things sometimes break. And if you really want the machismo, you'd be running Gentoo anyway... or LFS ;)).

40hz:
^LFS is a science fair project. Gentoo might be the ultimate tech wanker's distro if Gentoo could just get its act together a little better - and which they seem to be doing better lately. Besides, you can't say you've really experienced Linux in all its splendor and mystery until you've successfully done at least one Gentoo Stage 3 install. ;D (@f - Since I'm sure you have, you'll know what I'm taking about.)

re: Centos support, take a look here. Check out their customer list.

And yes, you are correct. In business it isn't (or shouldn't) be the software itself so much as how well it can be supported. No argument from me on that point since my entire business is based on that very premise. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version