ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lock PC during Boot. ???

<< < (2/3) > >>

hulkbuster:
The Windows logon password is not good enough?

What's your desired usecase here - preventing people from, say, booting from an USB stick or DVD? Preventing them from getting into your Windows account? Or actually securing your data?
If it's last item, look at BitLocker or (IMHO preferable) TrueCrypt.
-f0dder (February 03, 2013, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't choose setting password from BIOS, its rather too much,,,since i am on a dual boot, i already have password setup for Winxp and doing that for Win7 wouldn't be a problem (just time consuming), but i would rather give a single password and would be able to boot to any partition from the Boot Manager, this program i am talking about rewrite's the mbr, so before even the pc begins to read the xp mbr, it would first read these changes....haha (how do i explain this in words)
Bit locker is not my choice, i am not big on encryption, i had some painful moments with it already. But this program is their, i don't know its name.
Also i heard its not freeware, i am ok with that.

40hz:
If you have a boot manager that required a password to get into it couldn't you then just set XP and Win7 to login automatically since the boot manager would have already asked for a password?

hulkbuster:
I have never crossed anything about BootManager asking for a password, all it does is provide option to a user to choose between the OS's, sorry 40hz, i really can't understand the point here. :tellme:

40hz:
My point was that some boot managers (not  the one supplied with Windows but rather a replacement) can be setup to use a password to get into them.

If you have one of those, you can let the boot manager handle asking for the password. Once you get to the boot selection menu you don't really need additional passwords since the boot manager already asked for one.

You could then set up each of your Windows versions to automatically login. That way, once you selected it from the menu you'd just go in without needing to enter an additional password.

A Google search on "boot manager" or a look here will get you started researching some alternatives.

Hope that made sense. :)

4wd:
Put a boot manager with a 1 second timeout on a flash drive, (eg. GRUB), have it point to the Windows bootloader on the HDD, make USB the primary boot device and disable all the rest.  In theory, the machine won't boot without that flash drive plugged in, however it can easily be bypassed by using any form of USB bootable media.

Having a program residing in the MBR checking for a flash drive, (as you mentioned), won't help much if the computer is allowed to boot by any other means.
Which means you have to use the Setup Password in the BIOS anyway to disable access, so you may as well just use the BIOS Boot password also, as 40hz suggested.

It all depends on how hard you want to stop someone from booting the computer - if they can open it, they can boot it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version