ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much have I downloaded?

(1/7) > >>

Curt:
At first I was wondering if this should be posted in The Rant Thread!, but realized that I also have a question which I will like to be answered.
--------------------------------------

I am usually very satisfied with my Internet Supplier; the company is handling my land-line Telephone, my Televison, my Internet, my music file collection, and (for a while) my online backup.

But yesterday they mailed and informed me that they have both doubled my speed AND introduced "Fair Use": I am no longer allowed to download more than 1,000 (a thousand) GB (=1TB) per month! They didn't bother to include anything about "what must I do if I need to download more?", or any words about "how can I download my backup which is more than 1TB?"!

I feel certain I never have downloaded 1TB in a month, and may never download this much (please, God, don't let me need to download my backup!), but one of the problems in my mind is, that I don't know how much I already am downloading, and they have not yet offered any way for me to know this data.

I am not panicking, it will probably take me a year to download 1TB (please, God, don't let me need to download my backup!), but I would certainly like to know the answer to the basic question:

Does Windows or Firefox in any way keep record on How Many Bytes Was Downloaded?
-or is the Internet Supplier the only one who knows how much I am downloading?-basic question
--- End quote ---
:tellme:

mouser:
Usually when an internet provider puts in a cap like this, they will also provide a url where you can go check on the bandwidth you have downloaded so far.

You could also get a firewall that will "approximately" keep track of this locally, but i encourage you to ask your ISP about where you can find out what THEY say you have used at any given time.

Renegade:
There's a bandwidth meter that's been mentioned in this forum. I had it on my last Windows install, but forgot the name of it... NETMETER!

Check here:

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?page=13
http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item23

That will work for 1 machine, but not your whole network. It might help some.

f0dder:
I am usually very satisfied with my Internet Supplier; the company is handling my land-line Telephone, my Televison, my Internet, my music file collection, and (for a while) my online backup.-Curt (February 03, 2013, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
TDC, eh?

I hope this "fair use" crap doesn't bleed down all the way to Fullrate. It's bad enough TDC keeps connectivity costs artificially inflated and does all it can to slow down fibre connections, but "fair" use? Ugh.

Renegade:
...but "fair" use? Ugh.
-f0dder (February 03, 2013, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's funny how "fair" is always defined 1-sidedly. That doesn't seem "fair" now, does it? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version