ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AutoHotkey fund idea - split donation with AutoIt?

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
We created an Autohotkey fund that people can donate to with their DonationCredits (click gold coin at top of page), because there are quite a few people on this forum who use Autohotkey, especially Skrommel who uses it for all his One Hour Software Coding Snacks.

I've been reminded that Autohotkey uses significant amount of code and tools (for example the ahk->exe compiler) from AutoIt.

I know there is some bad blood between ahk and autoit and i don't want to stir up a hornets nest, but since both developers accept donations, i'd like to propose that we split the $100 donation (when the fund goal is reached) between the two developers, and donate $50 to each.

Does anyone object to this?

brotherS:
Does anyone object to this?
-mouser (April 26, 2006, 01:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
I do!  :down:

My reasons:
- while AHK is based on the old AutoIt code, the AHK author spends lots of time implementing new features virtually every day
- the AHK forum gives better newbie support
- 99.7% of the Coding Snacks on DC are coded with AHK instead of AutoIt

JoTo:
I think it is good to split the pot.

1. AHK based on old code from AutoIT but it IS definitely based upon.

2. Some code and parts of AHK bases on the NEWER AutoIT3 Code as well (as long it was open source) not only on the old AutoIT2 Code.

3. Some of the Ideas that are now in AHK is from the new AutoIT3 even it is implemented in own Code of the AHK-Author (i.E. DLLCall). Sure there are many features in AHK that have nothing to do with AutoIT but there are definitely some that has to do.

4. I, for example, use AutoIt as well. Every program has it advantages and disadvantages. There is definitely no "one and only". Its every time a question what to use for what task.

5. Cant agree with brotherS that the AutoIT Forum/Mailinglist is less helpful or kind than the AHK one. My experience tells me, that Jonathan, Larry and many other regulars there ALWAYS are willing to help out when kindly asked for and the question is in a well formed state. No bad results for me from that side.

Maybe we find another split point, because more people here use AHK than AutoIT. But splitting in itself i think is a good idea.

How about: 30% AutoIt / 70% AHK.

Maybe than we all can live with it and sleep well.

Just my 2ct.
JoTo

wr975:
I object.  :down:

I donated for AHK, not AutoIt.

As for the "stolen" source code (there're many threads about this elsewhere, no need to start here again):

* It was open source back then.
* Chris says, less than 5% source code is AutoIt + gives credit. 
* Chris didn't remove references to AutoIt from the helper tools.

Suggestion: Create a new fund for AutoIt + give users the possibility to transfer spent DonationCredits from AHK to AutoIt (like via Email request.)

lanux128:
I object.  :down:

I donated for AHK, not AutoIt.
-wr975 (April 26, 2006, 02:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

basically i'm impartial on this but wr975's point hit me on the head. the good folks here at DC had donated thinking that the dough will go to AHK's development team. So it's a bit like moving the goal-post now if we turn around and say "let's split".

so i'd like to suggest that we proceed with this fund as originally planned but there can always be another pot for Auto-It...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version