ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Global Warming & Statistics

<< < (4/4)

tomos:
And I see i just broke my own rule about not participating in the Basement because I didn't notice this discussion had been reassigned. Ok. I'll let stand what I've already posted - but I'm out. Steady on! :Thmbsup
-40hz (February 03, 2013, 10:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

nope - it's in the living room (well it still is, at any rate)

Here's an article I read this evening, it is *not* science but written by a scientist
-tomos (February 03, 2013, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I respect Brin, particularly as a SF writer. But he is squarely missing the mark in this essay -- again, in the same manner I've been complaining about. Although in his introduction he very briefly mentions costs and alternatives, his discussion never actually visits those topics. The entire essay is entirely devoted to whether someone should be considered an open-minded skeptic, or is a closet denier. But knowing what label to hang on a person doesn't get us any closer to deciding if any action needs to be taken, and if so, which one.
-CWuestefeld (February 03, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes, point taken. It also bothered me that he was so blasé about writing off the science that disagreed. But it did get me thinking again about the vested interests though.

I see now that what you are requesting could be done (i.e. looking at possible consequences and costs of what is being done - and of course what is not allowed to be done - all in the context of different possible predictions). The big problem would be the predictions - they would be very much dependent on which side of the fence the people are and would presumably vary so wildly that it would be difficult to proceed from there. None of which is a reason for not making an effort.

Stoic Joker:
if you divided the world's population of 7 billion into families of four, and gave them each 1/4 acre to live on
-CWuestefeld (February 03, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um... how big is an acre where you're from? Because a 1/4 acre for a family of 4 would leave them in a tent best I can tell.

A square plot of ground, 208.7 feet on a side, will cover an acre

So a 1/4 acre is a ~52' square ... Zoiks!

AndyM:
So a 1/4 acre is a ~52' square .
-Stoic Joker (February 04, 2013, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
~104', it's a square

Stoic Joker:
So a 1/4 acre is a ~52' square .
--- End quote ---
~104', it's a square-AndyM (February 04, 2013, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! yes, true ...(that is a bit closer to the suberbes)... but it still ain't alot of room.

I've spent to much time with base 2, 8, & 16 ... I can't seem to do base 10 anymore.

Tinman57:
Um... how big is an acre where you're from? Because a 1/4 acre for a family of 4 would leave them in a tent best I can tell.
So a 1/4 acre is a ~52' square ... Zoiks!
--- End quote ---

I know, right!  My house takes up 1/4 acre.  Good thing I have 20 acres of land, eh?    ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version