ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Installing an executable with limited execution priority

<< < (2/2)

superticker:
Well, what else can it be? Sometimes (75% of the time) I can run the game and exit without any problems. Other times, if I enter, then exit the game for 5 seconds, things are sluggish afterwards. Logging out and back in always fixes it immediately.
-superticker (February 23, 2013, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
That is a very good question :) - I just wouldn't expect anything as "near kernel level" as thread scheduling to be fixed by a mere relog.-f0dder (February 23, 2013, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well maybe the working set (max memory allocation, max time slice) gets modified. But a shared resource could also be to blame.

It might be the game latches on to a Windows resource and fails to release it upon exiting. Logging out simply releases that resource. I've tried debugging it with process explorer without success.-superticker (February 23, 2013, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Process explorer would be my best bet to start with. There's nothing fishy to spot? Is CPU and memory usage (both the overall as well as looking at individual processes) at normal levels, or is anything spiking? Can you describe the effects of the sluggishness?-f0dder (February 23, 2013, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

The idle process is using up all the CPU cycles in process explorer when the system is sluggish.  It may take 6-8 seconds to simply open the WinXP START menu--unbelievable. Other windows open slowly as well. Programs seem to run okay, but everything about the UI is really slow. Upon trying to log out, sometimes it takes Windows two minutes to close programs.

The program is MahJongg Master 4.0 (2002). It's a very well designed board program, but it hogs every CPU cycle when it runs. What's weird is that 75% of the time Windows is fine after it exits. I wonder if I configure it to not use GPU hardware acceleration if that would make a difference?

What about knocking down the execution priority of the Firefox Plugin Container executable so Flash ads aren't stalling the browser? Is this a question for the Firefox forum?  Can Flash itself be tamed by reducing its execution priority? Shouldn't there be something in the Windows resource kit for doing that?

superticker:
- type (for example): start /low notepad.exe

Put the above in a batch file,... associate the desired icon with it and done.-Shades (February 23, 2013, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

So can this be done using a Windows resource kit utility that would patch the registry for this program's install such that it would always run in low priority without using a batch or command-line pif file? I'm guessing "yes", but I need to know the name of the resource kit utility so I can read up on it.

I would like to pose the same question for the Flash install or Firefox Plugin Container install. Darn Flash ads make my browser slow and unusable. I wish the ads would use canvas and HTML5 instead of Flash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version