ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a minimalist Desktop Calendar Application..

(1/10) > >>

mouser:
Ok I need some help looking for an app.. If it doesn't exist maybe we can build it.

What I want is a very simplistic, minimalist Desktop Calendar application, with a very basic feature set -- but I'm quite picky about some of the user interface elements.

I have tried a bunch of Calendar/Scheduling information management applications, and I never stick with any of them..

And I *think* the main reason is that I don't have a lot of scheduling to do, I mainly want to add quick notes to a given day, maybe track a few birthdays and events.

So here's what I need:

* 1. Nice elegant maximized display of the current month, shown just like a wall calendar, with a day for each month.
* 2. Each day box should be a very simple click to edit plain text field so I can just easily write and edit the text notes for a given day.  I don't want to have a form pop up asking me start and stop times, etc.
* 3. Quick toggle to and from tray.
* 4. A yearly view and/or a summary list view, that makes it easy to see at a glance which upcoming days in future months have custom notes on them.  That is, I'd like a year view where i can see the days that have custom notes marked in a different color. And/Or a list view with just a list of days with custom notes.
* 5. A way to provide a simple list of repeating events (birthdays).
I do *NOT* need:

* 1. Alarms and audible/popup reminders
* 2. Searching, Synchronizing, Printing.
Now if we did decide to code it ourselves, there are a couple of unusual features that I might consider adding, like:

* Ability to configure a few custom fields that would be shown on each day, like a field for "Weight" or "Miles Run", etc., and which might be graphable.

Anyone else think this would be useful?  Every desktop app i've sen is designed to be a serious power tool for people with super busy schedules..
I just want as close as I can get to a physical wall calendar which let's me easily add notes to each day.

Anyone know of an application like this, free or otherwise?

Tuxman:
Rainlendar? It can do the things you don't need though.

dr_andus:
I want is a very simplistic, minimalist Desktop Calendar application, with a very basic feature set -- but I'm quite picky about some of the user interface elements.
-mouser (January 30, 2013, 01:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I looked into this category a few months ago and couldn't find anything that simple, so decided to stick with Google Cal. But here are a few software I came across (in order of increasing complexity - the last few are far too complex for your criteria, but included them anyway for comparison):

* Smart Desktop Calendar
* Cotton Calendar
* VORG
* Pimlical
* Calendarscope
Another option might be to use the provided calendar files and features within existing PIM, such as BrainStorm, WhizFolders etc.

Edit: I should have mentioned calendar view and date topics within ConnectedText (wiki), which is all text and mark-up based.

cmpm:
VueMinder

http://www.vueminder.com/

Nice desktop calendar, full view and mini, both with click date to add notes.
A free version and Pro and Ultimate for more features.

NigelH:
Perhaps UK's Kalender?
Does not match your required feature set exactly - especially point 2.
But it is somewhat minimalist.

http://www.ukrebs-software.de/english/kalender/features.html
http://www.ukrebs-software.de/english/kalender/screenshots.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version