topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Facebook Cash  (Read 3972 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Facebook Cash
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Facebook legal notice could get you cash, so don't trash it

If you received the recent legal notice from Facebook, you may be paid up to $10 as part of a settlement over Sponsored Stories dispute.

http://www.pcworld.c...o-dont-trash-it.html

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Facebook Cash
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:44 AM »
That alternative would divvy up the money among a number of non-profit organizations involved in educational outreach that teaches adults and children how to use social media technologies safely, or are involved in research of social media.

Or just hand the money over to a bunch of buddies... Just a bit skeptical about "non-profits" and "NGOs"... I've lost all faith in them after learning about what some of them really do. Enough to make you vomit through your eye-sockets.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:46 AM »
Yeah, I got that and did a bit of research on my own as to whether the email was legitimate or spam.

Seems there could also be bogus emails going around that lead to phishing sites, so be careful.

Look at the original headers on the email and make sure it came from Facebook. It should come from facebookmail.com and have gone through mx-out.facebook.com. The link to file a claim should lead you to fraleyfacebooksettlement.com and the email should contain a "class member number" which you will need to file your claim to be paid.

That alternative would divvy up the money among a number of non-profit organizations involved in educational outreach that teaches adults and children how to use social media technologies safely, or are involved in research of social media.

Or just hand the money over to a bunch of buddies... Just a bit skeptical about "non-profits" and "NGOs"... I've lost all faith in them after learning about what some of them really do. Enough to make you vomit through your eye-sockets.

There is no guarantee that anyone will receive any money. If too many people submit a claim to get paid, the money will all go to non-profits like the EFF. They are one of the ones on the list of who will get a chunk of it if it doesn't go to the victims that put in a claim. I don't have a problem with the EFF getting part of the money, and I am not sure why anybody else would be. Do you know something about the EFF or any of these other organizations that I don't?

Center for Democracy and Technology, Electronic Frontier Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, Joan Ganz Cooney Center, Berkman Center for Internet and Society (Harvard Law School), Information Law Institute (NYU Law School), Berkeley Center for Law and Technology (Berkeley Law School), Center for Internet and Society (Stanford Law School), High Tech Law Institute (Santa Clara University School of Law), Campaign for Commercial-Free Childhood, Consumers Federation of America, Consumer Privacy Rights Fund, ConnectSafely.org, and WiredSafety.org.

Actually, all of these organizations will get a chunk of it no matter what, but a bigger chunk if there are too many claims and the victims don't get paid.

The original settlement offered was thrown out because it didn't attempt to award a single dime to any of the victims. The purpose of the suit was to force Facebook to make changes and give its users more control over how their name, likeness, or posts were used with regards to commercial advertising. That will be accomplished one way or another, when everything is finalized. The money they asked for and Facebook agreed to pay, was only added to the settlement to keep it going forward and prevent another judge from rejecting it again.

http://www.nbcnews.c...appearing-ads-951675

And if you really want information on this case, this would probably be the best place to find it: http://www.citmedial...ts/fraley-v-facebook

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:04 AM »
There is no guarantee that anyone will receive any money. If too many people submit a claim to get paid, the money will all go to non-profits like the EFF. They are one of the ones on the list of who will get a chunk of it if it doesn't go to the victims that put in a claim. I don't have a problem with the EFF getting part of the money, and I am not sure why anybody else would be. Do you know something about the EFF or any of these other organizations that I don't?

The EFF is one of the very, very few that I have any kind of faith in anymore.

Having looked into some "charities", NGOs, and the like, and having had my eyes blown open, I can't help but look at some name of some organization and imagine the exact opposite of what one would think the name implies.

1 example - warning, this is disturbing...
USAID sponsors forced sterilization of women across the world, yet in their public face, they denounce it:

http://transition.us...ays/16days_2008.html

Do You Know What
 Gender Violence Is?

Gender-based violence both reflects and reinforces inequities between men and women and compromises the health, dignity, security, and autonomy of its victims. It encompasses a wide range of violent acts that include:

Domestic violence
Using rape and other forms of
     sexual violence as a weapon of war
Female genital mutilation/cutting
Dowry-related violence
Child marriage
Trafficking girls and women
Honor crimes
Bride kidnapping
Forced marriage
Wife inheritance
Sexual harassment
Date rape
Forced sterilization or other coercive
     reproductive practices

The reality is that they support it and continue their evil:

http://www.ncregiste...rilization-campaign/

There are many, many, many more references out there about these criminals mutilating women. Just plug in "usaid forced sterilization". India, Thailand, Peru, Uzbekistan...

It's not just them - it's a lot of other organizations as well. I'm only using them as 1 example of many. The issue is so prevalent (organizations using Orwellian language to achieve agendas) that there's just no way to sanely place any trust in any organization that you don't know really damn well.

So, when I hear about "charity" and "NGO" and all that, pfft. In my mind, I reverse whatever their name is and figure that's what they really do.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 08:53 PM »
  That's why I always check http://www.bbb.org/us/charity/ first, just to see how much of the donation goes to the cause and what goes into the pockets of the "staff".

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00 PM »

I've been a faithful supporter of the EFF for more than 10 years.  There's too many things to list here of what they have accomplished over the years, but you can see the list on their website https://www.eff.org.  They are government ball-busters when it comes to privacy issues, and the majority of the donations go to the "cause" and not into their collective pockets.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00 PM »
  That's why I always check http://www.bbb.org/us/charity/ first, just to see how much of the donation goes to the cause and what goes into the pockets of the "staff".

Some of the "causes" aren't what they appear to be on the surface. For some, it would be better if all the money were simply pocketed.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Some of the "causes" aren't what they appear to be on the surface. For some, it would be better if all the money were simply pocketed.

Which is why you should do your homework.....do research BEFORE you donate....