ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Debate: Effects of technology on modern youth

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tinman57:
I have an 8mo and we are already having this conversation... should we let him play with technology?
How about limiting time online, or on videogames?
-urlwolf (January 28, 2013, 09:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
  What Paul Keith said.  The important thing is, much like everything else in life.....MODERATION.  If you withhold technology from a kid, the kid is only going to look stupid to his/her peers.  A lot of tech is used in the work environment, without knowledge of a lot of tech no one will hire you.  But if you absorb the kid into tech, he/she becomes desensitized to social aspects of life.

Of course, I'm no psychologist or anything, I think it just boils down to common sense....

Edvard:
Dimitri Christakis is a pediatrician, parent, and researcher whose influential findings are helping identify optimal media exposure for children.
--- End quote ---

40hz:
To me it's not so much an issue of the effect of technology as it is an issue of the effect of societal attitudes on them.

Parenting is work. And in an era where we go to extreme lengths to minimize our need to be involved with things we find laborious, we've spawned a whole global industry dedicated to providing labor-saving technologies and services.

Unfortunately, far too many parents use technology as a cheap and quick 'auto-attendent' for their children. And when their children become too dependent on these devices they're quick to point the finger at the tool rather than acknowledge they are ultimately responsible for controlling access.

The problem I see with kids accessing too much technology at too early an age is that they begin to attain a large degree of personal autonomy before they're able to handle all the ramifications and responsibilities that go with it. Technology can also engender a false sense of security and personal power. When coupled with a lack of maturity (and inadequate moral development) that can produce extremely bad outcomes for some individuals.

That's a high price to pay for shoddy parenting and lazy parents.

And that's not saying anything that hasn't been said a thousand times before.

Fred Nerd:
As a 25 year old, I just missed the online/technology social revolution.

The main thing I notice is that young people (and a lot of older ones) don't get the concept of criticism and mild insults.
People get so used to disconnecting/blocking any negative that they can't don't know how to deal with it properly, AND then are scared of giving a negative comment in fear of being deleted.
So people are used to a diet of 'likes' and no longer know how to turn criticism into a joke and deal with it.
Which leads to emperors new clothes scenarios, everyone too scared to say anything but the person is actually totally useless.

This is written without any qualifications and shouldn't be considered a critical study unless you agree with it.

cmpm:
It's a good way to entertain kids and keep them from getting into trouble via boredom.
A good tool to inspire imagination as well.
We are raising two boys and the effects socially are minimal.
21 and 23 now, teachers were impressed with their ability to type and understand technology and communicate what they learned.
Starting with 3.1 to present they have always had access to computers and more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version