ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (10/23) > >>

tslim:
Same book, three different prices. Only difference is the browsers used. (reddit)
 (see attachment in previous post)
-erikts (January 31, 2013, 03:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

That matter is indeed browser irrelevant. Anyway, thanks a lot for the story, it really teaches me a good lesson. I use to believe internet is the greatest mean to protect customer from being bully with unfair pricing simply because they are innocent about how much certain item is sold in other part of the world.

40hz:
how much certain item is sold in other part of the world.
-tslim (January 31, 2013, 04:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really see where that offers the customer any protection.

Local prices have always varied due to numerous factors that include such things as: shipping costs, local regulatory compliance expenses, VAT, import duties, exchange rates, etc.

Sad truth is, an "open market" seldom guarantees good prices for the consumer. Look at drugs. The pharmaceutical industry charges significantly higher prices in countries where there is little government involvement or regulation in prescription drug pricing. I can go up online and check what the price of a prescription medication would be almost anywhere in the world. But knowing that has zero effect on what I'll have to pay for it where I am.

Prices also aren't always fixed. If you're willing to negotiate, many times you'll discover the "price as marked" isn't carved in stone. Maybe not always. But often enough that I've learned to ask if the price I'm originally being quoted is final. About half the time it's not. Especially if I make it plain I'm ready to buy immediately - but not at the price I've just been given.
 8)

Tinman57:
  I get the best of all 3 worlds by using Avant Browser which incorporates Chrome, Firefox and IE.   :P

4wd:
  I get the best of all 3 worlds by using Avant Browser which incorporates Chrome, Firefox and IE.   :P
-Tinman57 (February 01, 2013, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

monitoring, memory leaks, insecurities ?

;D

f0dder:
monitoring, memory leaks, insecurities ?
-4wd (February 01, 2013, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice one :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version