ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (8/23) > >>

f0dder:
I've been through so many browsers that I couldn't list them even if I tried to.

These days, it's FireFox as main browser on my workstation - it's fast, it has addons, and it's Panorama/TabGroups + LazyLoad is invaluable for the way I use a browser. And even if I didn't surf shady areas of the web (which I almost don't do), I still wouldn't surf without the "panzering". I don't like to be tracked, EOD, and even legitimate sites can have their banner-server hacked to serve malware. I use Chrome as my secondary browser when I need Flash content, and for Java content (which is limited to the retarded Danish NemID) I fire up a linux virtual machine.

On my work laptop, I tend to use Chrome more - it simply has better tools for webdev than firefox, IMHO. I keep the "persistant" stuff (JIRA, Confluence, various other work-related webapps) in FireFox, some other browsing/reference stuff as well, but the flurry of "in progress" stuff tends to happen in Chrome. I used to have gmail (yup, we use that corporate-wide) open in FF, but have moved it to Chrome - having it open for extended periods of time causes a lot of stutter in the fox.

Other than that, I open IE (including old versions in virtual machines, *sigh*) for compatibility testing, or when I need to log on to Citrix (again, *sigh*) - and can't really be bothered to use other browsers. There's no reason to do so for me, and compatibility-wise IE+FF+Chrome already covers the three most widely used rendering engines.

MrCrispy:
The answer is simple - Firefox can do anything the other browsers can, and much much more, thanks to its addons. You *might* see speed differences but these are highly dependent on hardware, plugins, no. of open tabs etc, and thus not really a reliable metric.

Chrome's only virtue is that it increased competition, but it also bought about horrid UI paradigms (tabs in title bar), insane numbering schemes etc.

4wd:
...but it also bought about horrid UI paradigms (tabs in title bar), insane numbering schemes etc.
-MrCrispy (January 29, 2013, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1000!!!

TaoPhoenix:
The answer is simple ... You *might* see speed differences but these are highly dependent on hardware, plugins, no. of open tabs etc...
-MrCrispy (January 29, 2013, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Except I AM seeing speed differences, over and over. It takes me twelve seconds to render four web pages...

Edvard:
Chromium, Firefox Nightly.  In that order.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version