ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (6/23) > >>

40hz:
My biggest problem with Chrome is that I can't escape the feeling that more is going on under the hood than I know about. Mostly in terms of tracking what I'm doing. Maybe it's excessive paranoia on my part. But enough companies (that should know better) have been caught playing those games that I don't think I'm completely crazy being concerned about it.

Tracking my personal browsing is an annoyance that would offend me if I discovered it happened. But I really don't care so much about that. What I do worry about is what may be seen when I access some of my clients' web-based systems. Because I have liability exposure if something leaks or gets compromised because of me.

wraith808:
I have to sign into a web service just to get basic security for the browser?
-4wd (January 28, 2013, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Eh?  What do you mean?

Joe Hone:
Judging from the comments in this thread, browsers are like ethnic food - your favorite may be way down on my list. :P

I'm on the net constantly all day long - I do research for my day job, upload about 400 MB of audio a week for my night job, general web surfing. I have 5 browsers on my desktop and they all are open at some point during the week, Chrome, FF, IE, Maxthon, Opera. Day in and day out, Chrome is by far the fastest to open, easiest to use. FF is ridiculous, sometimes taking 60 seconds to update when I need immediate access for a client. Maxthon isn't that easy for me to use, like the minds that developed it don't work like mine. Opera and IE, I'm pretty indifferent to their performance. I'm also using 3 computers, and I find the performance I've described to be fairly consistent between all of them.

4wd:
I have to sign into a web service just to get basic security for the browser?
-4wd (January 28, 2013, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Eh?  What do you mean?
-wraith808 (January 28, 2013, 08:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please point out where I can enter a Master Password to encrypt any saved passwords.  Unless it's changed really recently, they've stated that they're not going to do it and they'll implement it by having you log into your Google account, (and that seems to be for syncing your unencrypted passwords so you can have them spread across even more devices).

Josh:
To be honest, I've had a love-hate relationship with opera. I really have tried to like it. I've made it my default browser, uninstalling all others so I wouldn't be tempted to swap, for months at a time. The problem comes into play when multiple services or sites would fail to work. Yes, Opera does a good job explaining to me that many of these sites intentionally block opera and that there is nothing they can do. To a point, I understand this. My problem, really, is that all other browsers work fine. That, and the fact that they were late to the extensions game helped other browsers get a big foothold on that market. Extensions on opera leave a lot to be desired. Yes, Opera is nice, but I really cannot see making it my default browser any time soon.

But in the end, whatever works for you, use it. I will do the same and right now, that is Chrome as it has been for the last year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version