ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (5/23) > >>

40hz:
Still you have to admit, there are people who seem to really hate Opera.
-Paul Keith (January 28, 2013, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hate's a bit strong an emotion to waste on a piece of software IMHO. ;D But dislike or frustration aren't.

Still, for forum browsing and posting it works better than most other things I've tried. It's fast and light on it's feet without being as feature-challenged (by design) and platform restricted (Win 32-bit only by dev's decision) that something like K-Meleon can be.

Actually, my biggest "gimme" is that a browser be native 64-bit and multiplatform. But that's me - and most people wouldn't put those two criteria up very high on their wish list. Well...maybe the 64-bithood might; but probably not the multiplatform part.
 8)

Paul Keith:
Oh wow, I totally forgot about K-meleon.

To be fair to K-meleon, they don't really have the staff to go head to head with something as innovative as Opera and at least by not being more cross-platform they are more stable than Midori. (At least based on the comments I hear for it.)

Plus I don't know if it's still the same today but I recall K-meleon having one of the fastest loading (surpassing Chrome and Opera) for plain webpages back in the day. Could be false memory but I really wanted that gold gecko to have matured. Unfortunately it does not seem to have taken some of the mature features of other mainstream browsers.

TaoPhoenix:
Hate's a bit strong an emotion to waste on a piece of software IMHO. ;D
-40hz (January 28, 2013, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

(Darth Vader)
"Feel the Hate of Software flowing within you! Soon your path to the dark side will be complete!"

TaoPhoenix:

Well I'm been hovering around FF for my entire modern comp career (since about 2007), though I keep poking at Pale Moon here and there. Then random thing cloud the Pale Moon (uh...)

The latest bug is that Miles' little script BBSS doesn't currently play nice with Pale Moon for me, and requires generic FF.

4wd:
Firefox or one of its 32/64bit derivatives.

Never really got into Opera, too much like the old Netscape Navigator, tries to do everything instead of doing one thing really, really well, (yes, I know I can just not use the parts I don't want to but then...why have them there in the first place?).

Chrome/Dragon/SW Iron is too crippled.  I have to sign into a web service just to get basic security for the browser?  Give me a break.
Not to mention the interface basically can't be customised to my needs/wants.  I use Dragon Portable occasionally when I just want to quickly look at a site but that's about it.

IE....yes well....everything that applies to Chrome based browsers plus a fair bit more but I do use it occasionally for those sites even more retarded than it, (usually because they can't track me enough in Firefox).

Interesting. I had the same page open in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, and the Chrome version text was noticeably worse - as in OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!! worse. ;) -Renegade (January 28, 2013, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Using Pale Moon and Dragon for comparison, the only difference I can see is that Dragon has less contrast otherwise, on my screen, apart from a 1 pixel difference in spacing that creeps in they are exactly the same.

Pale Moon on top:
2013 Version: Browser Wars

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version