ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (4/23) > >>

Paul Keith:
You don't really judge Chrome's speed nowadays by how fast Chrome is but by how fast SRWare Iron Portable Version is. At least on Windows system.

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

Iron is still faster than Chrome and Firefox.

40hz:
No war where I am. Just a bunch of seedy characters standing around under a streetlight swapping dirty looks and waiting to see which I pick to use this time.

2013 Version: Browser Wars

I swap between all the majors (FF,OP,CH.IE) depending on what I'm doing. But I don't think any of them are perfect. And none of them do everything I want them to do - or work they way I think a browser should.

About the best I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have to pay for any of them. Which is probably at the root of what the problem is with browsers and browser development in general: Who's paying for it?

I would gladly pay for a browser if somebody did a really good one that wasn't quietly gearing up to make money by trying to become my next desktop.
 8)

Paul Keith:
About the best I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have to pay for any of them. Which is probably at the root of what the problem is with browsers and browser development in general: Who's paying for it?

I would gladly pay for a browser if somebody did a really good one that wasn't quietly gearing up to make money by trying to become my next desktop.-40hz
--- End quote ---

You can't say Opera did not try but you weren't paying enough for either it's ad-free version and Opera Mini.  :P

40hz:

I would gladly pay for a browser if somebody did a really good one that wasn't quietly gearing up to make money by trying to become my next desktop.-40hz
--- End quote ---

You can't say Opera did not try but you weren't paying enough for either it's ad-free version and Opera Mini.  :P
-Paul Keith (January 28, 2013, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh I agree. And I did pay for Opera (for a while) when it first came out. The developers were responsive and doing their best for their customers. But Microsoft kept doing an end run around them (as did Netscape to a certain extent) by constantly attempting to preempt web standardization by doing their own implementations. Once that started it was purely a numbers game with the biggest gorilla(s) winning out because websites want to be seen. And if that means the webmasters have to play nice with the musclebound bullies to do so - so much for ethics or standards.

Sad state of affairs, but there ya have it. :-\

Paul Keith:
Agreed.

Still you have to admit, there are people who seem to really hate Opera.

After IE, Opera became the whipping child of Firefox. After Firefox, Opera became the whipping child of Google with their constant breaking of Opera's sites regardless how many times they try to fix it. After Google, Opera just happened to not catch fire in the tablet market. (though I have no clue which is the most used browser on those end).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version