ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (3/23) > >>

Renegade:
Chrome! Plain and simple.

I would not use any other browser. It is fast, has the extensions I need to remain productive, and works on any page I throw at it. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing chrome crash since I started using it.
-Josh (January 28, 2013, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are very fortunate. I've seen Chrome crash more times than I care to count. Mind you, those were likely (guessing here) entirely due to the Adobe Flash plugin.

Still, a plugin *shouldn't* crash a browser. Error? Sure. Crash? no.

I've had better luck with Opera being graceful with crashes.

But, again, it's all about what you like. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry - they all have their charms.

Paul Keith:
Flash/Shockwave crash a common story for Linux on all browsers.

Btw I disagree.

Vanilla and Strawberry can't be used for mud facials like chocolate - Opera, is the most gracious, has an extension for speed dial reminders, has a long click on link to create background tabs, has stacks

Chocolate and Strawberry tend to ruin Coffee unlike Vanilla - Firefox overall has the best cross-platform stability and integration. It has unique add-ons like Scrapbook Plus. It has the most advanced session manager. With less than 50 tabs, Firefox is still better than both Chrome and Opera

Strawberry may not be as unique as Vanilla or as robust as Chocolate but it mixes well with both - Chrome's link to google account means it has the most guaranteed "you already have this account" for online sync, it also has some unique feed readers like FeedSquare and News Factory that is not just your regular RSS Reader Prettifier. It has unique to-do lists like My Time Organizer and Do it Later Alligator. It may crash pages but most session managers for it also treat session links like checkboxes. Coincidentally it also has context for extension icon management and it has the most unique and colorful library synching with the look of tablets.

If you're a dedicated web reader, it really has been "locked in to this feature or no alternative" for a while with the exception of IE and that's only because of Maxthon. If Flock is not dead, it would have been offering users another unique sidebar taste. (But god I hate how it slows down and the orange icons).

2013 Browsers Wars are the Browser PIM wars i.e. the Extension and Exclusive Feature Wars

If you use Zotero, you would be highly leaning towards Firefox.
If you play HTML5 games, the apps of Chrome is much more friendly.
If you like native smart drag, Maxthon.
If you like fit width to screen, you go Opera

...and that's just some of the examples of recommended extensions for recommended programs. It's the coders nowadays that have the simpler choice. Regular users have to use, experience and browse all the new extensions all the time as blogs have gone totally commercial on the list of top extensions to install on browsers thread while user reviewers have been extremely harsh on one end while extension developers have gone through a dry spell of resurrecting old extensions. Anything that's banned from Google Chrome's extension list probably won't be blogged or praised. Anything that has barely any reviews on Firefox Add-ons probably won't have much people pointing out the existence of that extension. Anything that's on Opera will be mostly ignored. Maxthon won't even make a dent.

Curt:
Here's a PSD for comparison:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Renegade (January 28, 2013, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

-to make full sense, I guess I must have the same fonts installed?

---------------------------

I use Waterfox (64-bit version of Firefox) because of the many add-ons; "have it my way".

paulobrabo:
Long story short?

IE > Netscape Navigator > Opera > Firefox > Firefox > Firefox (that's many faithful, star-eyed years of Firefox) > Chrome > Firefox

I was lured by how blazing fast Chrome used to be, and was converted when it got many of the extensions I used on Firefox. But then Chrome started to *feel* slower and slower, and Firefox started to *feel* leaner and leaner wherever I tried them (desktop PC, notebook, netbook).

Firefox, my darling, Chrome didn't mean nothing to me. At all. Please take me back.  :-*

mrHappy:
Here's a PSD for comparison:
-Renegade (January 28, 2013, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

-to make full sense, I guess I must have the same fonts installed?
---------------------------

I use Waterfox (64-bit version of Firefox) because of the many add-ons; "have it my way".

-Curt (January 28, 2013, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
no, the fonts you're missing are only for his numbers, not for the "important" part of the psd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version