ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (2/23) > >>

dr_andus:
I went from Firefox > Waterfox > Pale Moon > Chrome, mostly against my will. Firefox has been getting too slow on my Win7, 64-bit system. Waterfox worked fine for a while (except during checkout process while online shopping), but at one point stopped working with Google services (Calendar, Drive etc.). Switched to Pale Moon, which was fine (though same issues with online shopping as Waterfox). But I stopped using it because it doesn't display the opened window preview in its pinned place in my taskbar.

During switching between these I set up Chrome as a temporary measure but now I've ended up using it because it seems to be the fastest. But I don't like the font rendering. Everything (e.g. fonts) seems to be less sharp (greyer) than with Firefox somehow. But various Google services work more smoothly for obvious reasons. I do feel that I've fallen into some kind of trap set by Google though but the other options just failed me when I needed them.

Renegade:
But I don't like the font rendering. Everything (e.g. fonts) seems to be less sharp (greyer) than with Firefox somehow.
-dr_andus (January 28, 2013, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. I had the same page open in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, and the Chrome version text was noticeably worse - as in OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!! worse. ;)

Here's a PSD for comparison:

Opera-Chrome-Firefox-type-comparisons.zip (194.63 kB - downloaded 249 times.)

I put a border around the text where in Chrome it is quite blurry, but the same text in Opera and Firefox is very clear.

I'd never noticed that before. Good observation there!  :Thmbsup:

Giampy:
They all have strengths and weaknesses-Renegade (January 28, 2013, 05:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't understand mankind. If every browser has strengths and weaknesses, and if those features are worldwide known, why nobody gathers the best of every browser and creates an almost perfect one????????

(of course this applies to every product, not only browsers)

Renegade:
They all have strengths and weaknesses-Renegade (January 28, 2013, 05:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't understand mankind. If every browser has strengths and weaknesses, and if those features are worldwide known, why nobody gathers the best of every browser and creates a perfect one????????

(of course this applies to every product, not only browsers)
-Giampy (January 28, 2013, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's much harder than it sounds. They're all trying, but they succeed in some areas, and do poorly in others. It's a matter of resource allocation.

What I see as a major problem is the business guys pushing to have their agenda. That does jack all for the technology, but creates short term profits. Anyone that has worked in the industry has seen this -- the MBAs are the ones that just make the world a horrible place.

Josh:
Chrome! Plain and simple.

I would not use any other browser. It is fast, has the extensions I need to remain productive, and works on any page I throw at it. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing chrome crash since I started using it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version