ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Anyone here do any mobile development?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
I've been thinking about a few things I can do. At the moment, I'm considering doing some content-driven applications, but I have enough on my plate at the moment that I don't need to over-extend myself.

Frackin' Reserve has been a great little application for me though.

I did a Windows version, then a web edition, then a Linux/Mac OS X version (requires Mono), and FINALLY got an Android version done.

Check out the Android version here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.renegademinds.frackinreserve

It's a very simple little program, but I put enough stuff in there to play around when doing it for a new platform. There's a bit of logic, some math, some UI updating, a couple Activities, Google AdViews, some network permissions, etc. etc.

Overall, it was a great way to "get my feet wet" in a more meaningful way. We all piddle around with different platforms and languages and stuff, but without actually having something at the end of the day to show for it, it all kind of feels a bit hollow.

Now, realistically very few people will ever download it, but oh well. It did help with the motivation and idea problem. I'm in a much better position now to come up with new ideas for Android.

wraith808:
Yep. iOS counts too. :) (There are more out there as well.)

What kind of stuff are you working on? Has Xcode driven you past the edges of sanity yet?
-Renegade (January 27, 2013, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mouser actually answered for me...

but only done some quick experimenting with both platforms.. I need some inspiration and ideas..
-mouser (January 28, 2013, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

And again, Jetbrains to the rescue- I have used XCode very little. I'm using AppCode, and it's fine.

Renegade:
And again, Jetbrains to the rescue- I have used XCode very little. I'm using AppCode, and it's fine.
-wraith808 (January 28, 2013, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

How does it compare to Visual Studio, Eclipse, or MonoDevelop?

Xcode is just hellish to use. You have to admire the level of patience/masochism for Xcode developers. They put up with a lot of crap.

(FWIW - I think Visual Studio 2008 was the end of the best feature in Visual Studio - they dropped dynamic help in there, which really diminished the value of VS - that was a spectacular feature.)

I'm curious, as I'm using VS, MonoDevelop, and Eclipse now, but really don't like Eclipse.

hwtan:
Yes, I have done iOS 5, Android 3.0, BlackBerry 5.0 native apps,  WM5 (.NET Framework) apps, Symbian apps (way back when it runs on Psion 5MX and not Nokia) and PalmOS 5 (if anyone still remembers them).

Haven't done much Mobile Apps beside iOS recently, but IIRC, it was less a pain to debugging with XCode than with Eclipse for Android / BlackBerry.
Less "effortless" was WM5. Most fun was PalmOS (remind me of DOS where you get to hook pretty much anything) and major PIA was Symbian.

mouser:
It's wonderful to see you back here, hwtan!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version