ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Google ad test

<< < (5/11) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Ok let's turn the tables on these scammy ads and turn this experiment into a public service  :P

I've modified the ads now so that they are prefixed by this text (subject to improvement):

"During May of 2013 we are experimenting with showing automatic google ads on our forum threads to visitors who are not logged into our forum. The following ad was not chosen or endorsed by our site, but *might* be useful to you.

Be smart and ignore ads recommending some junk registry cleaner or computer speed up service, or ads claiming they've detected something wrong with your computer. When in doubt, post a question on our forum and get real advice from real people!"
--- End quote ---

If you have suggestion for better wording/warning, let me know.
-mouser (May 01, 2013, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's rather interesting! Does it violate Google's TOS to disparage their ads!? What about going further and hiding it behind a javascript frame or something that does various things to discourage clicking on the ad?

tomos:
I'm sorry to be just negative, but the only way this can be made acceptable imo, is, if the warning were to have a bigger font and a better colour than the download button (red preferably):

Stoic Joker:
I'm with Tomos, the text needs to be more eye-catching. Also maybe split it up so the second paragraph appears below the add to better "outline" the problem area..

Additionally, can we add a sound file that plays a blood curdling scream on mouseover ... Or is that going too far? :D

mouser:
Ok, here's my latest try:
Google ad test

Too much more warning and we're going to get into the silly zone..

TaoPhoenix:

Maybe the Silly Zone is where it belongs!
 ;D

Does it pay on Ad Impressions or Click Throughs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version