ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Google ad test

<< < (4/11) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Then there's these:

I see these as dangerous because they're items we'd all recommend *against* anyone using!  :o

mouser:
We might have to cut this experiment short (or switch to text ads?), as the main effect so far is having my disgust for google quadruple.

I see these as dangerous because they're items we'd all recommend *against* anyone using
--- End quote ---

agreed -- i see this as a real problem -- the ads that google most wants to put on our pages are programs that we would normally advise against.. i guess that's the main point of advertising.. yuck.

mouser:
What I was hoping was that adsense would show ads strictly based on the content of the thread, but that seems like wishful thinking..

Are there ad services where you can choose and approve a small number of "sponsors" each month, and only show ads from them?

TaoPhoenix:
We might have to cut this experiment short (or switch to text ads?), as the main effect so far is having my disgust for google quadruple.

I see these as dangerous because they're items we'd all recommend *against* anyone using
--- End quote ---

agreed -- i see this as a real problem -- the ads that google most wants to put on our pages are programs that we would normally advise against.. i guess that's the main point of advertising.. yuck.
-mouser (May 01, 2013, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, for most "plebes", it is! But we're Cody-ites! We're smarter than your average birds! ... or something!
 8)

Are there ad services where you can choose and approve a small number of "sponsors" each month, and only show ads from them?
-mouser (May 01, 2013, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still think "Gamifying" ads holds promise - make an ad page, encourage people to go over there, vote on ads, get enlightened companies who aren't afraid of a little parody and free speech, and make it a whole "experience". Hand pick only items you/we approve of to be in the "network".

Blah Blah, I know, "too much work", but then is THAT the limiting factor we're afraid of - that Google Adsense was easy!?

I also still like an approach of the coders custom-adding big features onto their existing apps inspired by one member, but then the feature is there for all. See my discussions with Chris G on Scrappy. Then maybe do a Revenue Share?

mouser:
Ok let's turn the tables on these scammy ads and turn this experiment into a public service  :P

I've modified the ads now so that they are prefixed by this text (subject to improvement):

"During May of 2013 we are experimenting with showing automatic google ads on our forum threads to visitors who are not logged into our forum. The following ad was not chosen or endorsed by our site, but *might* be useful to you.

Be smart and ignore ads recommending some junk registry cleaner or computer speed up service, or ads claiming they've detected something wrong with your computer. When in doubt, post a question on our forum and get real advice from real people!"
--- End quote ---

If you have suggestion for better wording/warning, let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version