ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Google ad test

<< < (6/11) > >>

f0dder:
Interesting idea to add the warning stuff - the ads served are definitely distasteful.

app103:
I'll say it again: Project Wonderful 

And if you really want to experiment, run both adsense (on the left) and project wonderful (on the right) in the same box at the bottom of the page, and add a link in the box that leads to a thread where members can vote on which they like better (left or right).

In 30 days, you'll know which you and the members here feel better about seeing displayed on the site. (my bets are on Project Wonderful  ;))

The ads from both networks can co-exist side by side without violating the TOS of either ad network.

(it may take a day or 2 before you start getting bids on the project wonderful ad box, so don't add a voting link till they start showing up.)

tomos:
Ok, here's my latest try: (see attachment in previous post)
Too much more warning and we're going to get into the silly zone..
-mouser (May 01, 2013, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

lol

40hz:
@Mouser - don't know if it's just me, but somehow allowing something to appear on your site - but then have a huge amount of text warning how this something might not be what it appears to be (along with full caveates) sends a mixed message. And in some respects I think it makes DoCo look bad because of it. To me it's almost like introducing a guest at a party you're hosting by saying "Hi folks. Meet my new acquaintance Goog. He's basically a nice guy - but watch your wallet whenever you're around him. And please don't blame me if he tries to pull a fast one on you ok? You have been warned."

(IMHO there has got to be a better way to generate ongoing revenue for the site than this. Just my :two: anyway. :))

mouser:
I agree with everything you're saying, which is basically why these ad experiments we do every few years always end with removing the ads.. I just think they convey the wrong message about the site and will scare off the very people we'd like to stay.

And as has been pointed out -- it's especially troubling for our site because the ads so often tend to recommend things that we ourselves would NOT recommend.  Maybe we could solve this by only allowing clothing advertisers:)

Still, i think there's some value in experimenting with them every few years to see what kind of revenue they generate, what kind of feedback they generate, if they affect the site, etc., and see what kinds of options there are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version