ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NASA OOPS!

<< < (5/7) > >>

Tinman57:
I could see it being that.

Thermal tiles are black in color, and one that cracked could produce a triangular piece that in zero-G would simply float away slowly enough to be photographed.

Some theories advanced earlier by a community of spacefans is that it was part of the Hubble telescope that had been discarded, but although there was a STS-61 mission with that task it was not marked as STS-61C.
-SeraphimLabs (January 26, 2013, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

All thermal tiles, AKA "Heat Shields" are white, at least all the ones I've dealt with in "Skunk Works" and the Space Shuttle.  After re-entry they're slightly blackened with soot, but still white in color as seen here.  This piece of tile, among many other parts that landed around my house, came from the Columbia shuttle crash.

As far as the SR-91 Aurora, it's way slimmer than what's in the picture.

4wd:
Just in:

IainB:
Well the See all metadata, images and captions. indicates that it is one of many pieces of space debris that they know of. See also link SPACE DEBRIS.

crabby3:
Well the See all metadata, images and captions. indicates that it is one of many pieces of space debris that they know of. See also link SPACE DEBRIS.
-IainB (January 27, 2013, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

@ SeraphimLabs,

I guess all of this leftover junk will eventually come back home and burn up?  Even the Hubble?  After the ISS?   :tellme:

app103:
The image was obviously Photoshopped, but not to add that single object, but remove all the others.  ;)

It would have looked a lot more like this, if they had not cleaned it up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version