ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NASA OOPS!

<< < (4/7) > >>

Edvard:
Ok, the first one looked like a bad crop job, with the one razor-sharp line and the others slightly blurred.  The other photo looks a little more mysterious, but the lack of discernable details tells me it's either very far away and quite large, or fairly close and is just a bare piece of triangular material, aka Space junk:

paulobrabo:
By the way, the official description is

Piece of thermal insulation tile floats near the Shuttle Columbia

A small piece of thermal insulation tile floats in space near the Shuttle Columbia. The cloudy surface of the earth is used as a background.

http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb/caption.jsp?searchpage=true&to_day=31&from_year=1981&from_month=8&to_year=1996&datesearch=Go&hitsperpage=100&from_day=1&to_month=12&pageno=21&photoId=STS61C-31-002

But since when NASA can be trusted  :P

SeraphimLabs:
I could see it being that.

Thermal tiles are black in color, and one that cracked could produce a triangular piece that in zero-G would simply float away slowly enough to be photographed.

Some theories advanced earlier by a community of spacefans is that it was part of the Hubble telescope that had been discarded, but although there was a STS-61 mission with that task it was not marked as STS-61C.

crabby3:

Thermal tiles are black in color, and one that cracked could produce a triangular piece that in zero-G would simply float away slowly enough to be photographed.-SeraphimLabs (January 26, 2013, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

But how could it get cracked in the first place and then manage to hang-on during all the vibration and flexing of blast-off; only to tear away in zero-G?   :tellme:

SeraphimLabs:

Thermal tiles are black in color, and one that cracked could produce a triangular piece that in zero-G would simply float away slowly enough to be photographed.-SeraphimLabs (January 26, 2013, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

But how could it get cracked in the first place and then manage to hang-on during all the vibration and flexing of blast-off; only to tear away in zero-G?   :tellme:
-crabby3 (January 26, 2013, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Micrometeorite impact. All objects in space are exposed to them at someodd long odds that do happen regularly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version