ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who is still runnig XP?

<< < (6/7) > >>

Edvard:
Still running XP on a separate disk, though I hardly ever boot into it; mostly for a few games and utilities with no equivalent on Linux.  My wife is still running XP because it runs on the 1.4 GHz machine she's still creaking along on and she's not a power user anyway.  That's gonna get replaced when we can afford a new computer for her.
Once I can afford a Win7 license, I'll prolly install that over my XP disk, and once I get an upgrade to my box, I'm considering running a hypervisor and virtual machines.  Although I'll have to come up with a valid reason for doing so besides "because I can".  :D

hulkbuster:
My main OS would be Winxp since it came with the rig, and i have to say something that comes along  with a package does last long and is better compared to those downloaded from net, i downloaded Winxp image from my Technet account, and that image i made it to oem and after a few weeks of heavy browsing and downloading it would not behave the same as the original copy that came with the rig.
 That wouldn't give any reason to prefer more than Win7 but, i really like the eye candy and the whole aesthetic feel of Win7 when i simply leave it open, i don't know if its me, but i noticed the copy/paste feature is considerably faster in Win7, and tweaking command prompt wasn't to time consuming, and the major thing i liked was configuring the recording option and selecting main audio device, which was replaced by some sound card was also easy, all these small things have been improved.

I am an average joe, and i do not use my pc for any major things, but i tweak a lot and noticed a lot of the small things i had a little time consumed in Winxp has been reduced in Win7. But i will not leave Winxp that easily or any time sooner. I can't comment on kernel level or can't give any comments what an administrator found it useful to him/her.
I am on a dual boot, and it is rocking for now.

40hz:
Still running XP on a separate disk, though I hardly ever boot into it;
-Edvard (January 25, 2013, 11:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is certainly the easiest way. I still keep a few copies of XP on swappable hard drives for those increasingly rare occasions when I do need it. Mostly for use with antique but still useful music software such as Tascam's Gigasampler. :-*

I'll also probably keep some VMs of XP around indefinitely. Just in case.

skwire:
I'll also probably keep some VMs of XP around indefinitely.-40hz (January 26, 2013, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here, for testing applications I've written.

xtabber:
I still use some programs that won't run under Win7 and keep several XP VMs on my main (win7x64) system. One of these is a actually a virtualization of a physical XP system I used until late last year.  Others are dedicated VMs set up to work with specific software configurations.

Under the current version of VMware Workstation, each open VM appears as another computer in a network workgroup.  That makes it very easy to share programs and data between all running VMs and host systems.  Virtual networks save a lot on cables and switches, to say nothing of space and electricity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version