ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who is still runnig XP?

<< < (4/7) > >>

superboyac:
Seriously it took me a while to move from XP to 7 but there is no way I would move back now and I'd go to Linux before returning to the misery of Windows 98 !!!-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2013, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Same here - and if MS continue too much down the path they've started with Win8, I might (begrudgingly) jump ship... but until that happens, why consider a second-grade OS? :P
-f0dder (January 25, 2013, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I pretty much have. All my personal use, and about 75% of my profession use is now running on Linux. Not exactly something I planned on. Or asked for. Windows 8 was the last straw for me. And now that I've transitioned (and very rarely miss Windows now that I have) I doubt I'd move back to Windows even if they dropped Metro, fixed (or stopped playing games with) UEFI/SecureBoot, and rationalized their SKUs.

First rule in customer retention: Never do anything that annoys an existing customer so much they start shopping around. Because once they do there's a good chance they'll be leaving.

In my case, I'm gone. Not so much for technical reasons. Like many here, I've been around the block so many times with this stuff that I know how to work around most technical hassles. What I can't get my head around is the FU attitude I'm seeing from Microsoft about this. It's almost as if the user no longer matters to them - it's an "our way" and "mother knows best" vibe I'm getting. And while I may not be the smartest guy in the room tech-wise, I still don't like being talked down to. Especially when I'm writing the checks.
 :-\
-40hz (January 25, 2013, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seems to be a lot of that going around...

40hz:

Seems to be a lot of that going around.
-superboyac (January 25, 2013, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's still not too late for MS to regroup and do right by their users. Most want to stay with Windows if they can.

I thought I was going to go over to Linux in the wake of Vista. I gave MS the benefit of the doubt and was amazed they exonerated themselves with Windows 7 - something that shocked many in the Linux community who thought the dawn of the 'nix' order would soon come to pass...

Unfortunately, the lessons many people thought MS had learned from Vista (and applied to Win 7) seem to have been forgotten with the advent of Win 8. And MS seems to be intent on using their size to tough things out. Which is why UEFI/SecureBoot (as currently implemented) seems (to me) to be a very transparent obstructionist ploy rather than a genuine attempt to deal with system security issues. And there's enough of a gap between what MS is saying about it and how it's actually working that I have no reason to believe much of what MS is saying any more.

Paul Keith:
something that shocked many in the Linux community who though the dawn of the Nix order would soon come to pass...-40hz
--- End quote ---

Wait...something actually shocked the Linux community?!  :P

fenixproductions:
Although I have bought Win7 box recently I am not willing to upgrade my hardware yet.

Two strange reasons:
- apps I use work well on XP - some of them I have on my work laptop (Win7 64bit) and I see no significant dereferences. The only software I can feel it is Photoshop CS5 (x64) which belongs to my corp.
- my current machine can handle OS update with no problems for casual software BUT it would definitely cripple my gaming experience.

So I am stuck with XP until I can freely toss some cash away for new RAM, mobo, CPU & power supply.

4wd:
Still running XP Pro on my download/PVR machine because it works and I'm loath to screw up the DVB-T setup, still running XP Pro on my old Aspire One netbook and XP HP on an old laptop.

Although I'm going to try Win8Pro on the netbook, (before it jumps in price at the end of the month), to see if it's more efficient than XP on an Atom N270 based machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version