ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Open Letter to Skype

<< < (3/4) > >>

Tinman57:
A lot of countries extend their jurisdiction beyond their jurisdiction and completely ignore sovereign borders. This isn't unusual.

It's even more disturbing when they treat their citizenry like property.
-Renegade (January 26, 2013, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
A lot of countries extend their reach beyond their jurisdiction and completely ignore sovereign borders.

It's OK Renny, we knew what you were trying to say.   :P

Renegade:
A lot of countries extend their jurisdiction beyond their jurisdiction and completely ignore sovereign borders. This isn't unusual.

It's even more disturbing when they treat their citizenry like property.
-Renegade (January 26, 2013, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
A lot of countries extend their reach beyond their jurisdiction and completely ignore sovereign borders.

It's OK Renny, we knew what you were trying to say.   :P
-Tinman57 (January 27, 2013, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. I cynically muddled that up there.

iphigenie:
Well considering all our POTS telephone conversations are being monitored and stored - enough companies sell this technology to governments - not sure what the fuss is all about. At least with skype *I* can keep a copy too ;)

Jibz:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/01/who_does_skype.html

f0dder:
From a comment on the Schneier blog:
People rely on Skype for secure communications? Who are these people? They're using a communications tool freely given to them by a giant multinational corporate with close ties to the US government and known to implement a buggy proprietary security protocol and expecting to get secure and private communications? What world are these people living in?-http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/01/who_does_skype.html#c1123566
--- End quote ---
That.

Discussing lolcats pictures, minecraft adventures, calling your parents, sexchatting midgets, whatever - that's all fine on Skype and similar services. But who in their right minds would do their terrorist bomb planning, drug deal scheduling, kidnapping details or secret evil megacorp plans on something not opensource?

No, I don't like the (pretty much official) .gov backdoors, but I had no illusions of Skype being secure before the Microsoft buyout, and anybody who did were naïve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version