ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Correct the Win7 Boot Menu, add Winxp entry...!!!

(1/1)

hulkbuster:
Hello folks,
               i have a dual aboot system, C: has XP and D: has Win7, although they boot preety well, i did a XP restore in C: yesterday ( for a test ), now this removed the boot menu and showed Press Ctrl+Al+Del during restart: this would mean the boot entry nor the mbr doesn't exist. 

After restoring an XP image it booted straight to xp, now i want the Win7 entry too in the boot menu. I am assuming the WinXP boot menu can't handle this( it may add an entry but it would not boot to Win7), and the Win7 Boot menu, would install certain files in C: when Win7 is being installed (certain files i noticed), the Boot Menu would show the XP entry as Older version of Windows.

So after restoring the XP image i booted from a Win7 Repair Disc and although it corrected the Win7 entry, and after a restart it would boot only to Win7. I had made a backup of bcdfile from the command prompt using Repair disc. Exporting it has no effect, and i tried the bootrec /rebuildbcd /scanos to and other commands , didn't work. It only noticed Win7 in D:

It was only during the Win7 fresh installation, which would make changes to the Boot Menu, and i have no clue how i can replicate that by using a Win7 Repair Disc or Winpe Disc.

Hope my problem is understood, i tried few things about adding the Winxp entry in the boot menu and add certain files in C: as well, it would add an Windows Xp entry but it didn't show in the Boot Menu during restart it would straight boot to Win7.

Can anyone suggest me something, i have been fondling with this question in my mind for a while.Please help me out.

4wd:
So after restoring the XP image i booted from a Win7 Repair Disc and although it corrected the Win7 entry, and after a restart it would boot only to Win7.-hulkbuster (January 25, 2013, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Install EasyBCD and add the XP entry back in again.

How to Add Windows XP to Windows 7 Boot Manager Using EasyBCD

hulkbuster:
So after restoring the XP image i booted from a Win7 Repair Disc and although it corrected the Win7 entry, and after a restart it would boot only to Win7.-hulkbuster (January 25, 2013, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

-4wd (January 25, 2013, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you for that, it worked and , i installed it under Win7 first and the entry exitsted for Winxp. But when i reboot to Win7 after selecting it from the Boot Menu, it would not boot properly, i can see the mouse pointer but the desktop is all blank. I have to call Task Manager to bring it to Desktop. So i boot to Winxp and format D: and later restore Win7 image suprisingly the boot menu exist, even for Win7 and later i would boot to Win7 , no problem.

But i was hoping for a more concrete approach through repair disc or winpe disc. Any chance i can achieve that , by the disc.

4wd:
--- End quote ---

-4wd (January 25, 2013, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

...i installed it under Win7 first and the entry exitsted for Winxp.-hulkbuster (January 28, 2013, 03:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Did you delete the entry first and then insert it back, (recommended), or just leave it as it was?

But i was hoping for a more concrete approach through repair disc or winpe disc. Any chance i can achieve that , by the disc.
--- End quote ---

Use bcdedit with the /store parameter but it's easier to boot into 7 and use EasyBCD: Adding Boot Entries

hulkbuster:
I had already created an XP entry from Win7 by using these commands:

--- ---c:\bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"
c:\bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=D:C:\bcdedit /set {ntldr} path ntldr
c:\bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast
This would work if Win7 was in C: and XP in D: But i had other way round, the link you provided i'm going through and taking notes, it looks like it would work , need some time to verify everything. Will holler back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version