ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would a 41 megapixel camera get you to buy a Windows 8 phone?

<< < (4/5) > >>

tomos:
Ho humm - digital zooming. I've honestly never really seen good results from that - and if one of the marketing pitches is "we use the insane mpix to resize down to acceptable quality and doing noise filtering stuff", doesn't that imply your image will get noisier and noisier the more you zoom?-f0dder (February 05, 2013, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

no, it's not digital zooming:
digital zooming is resizing an image, e.g. 100x200 pixels gets resized to 200x400 and will print at a larger size. The quality is generally crap because this is a bad idea and an even worse idea to do in-camera, or worse again, in-phone.

What's happening here is:
they normally use all those extra pixels to average out an image and make it (theoretically anyway) a better quality 5mp image.
But if you chose to zoom (up to 3x with this phone) it will use the full resolution and crop the image to make it a 'bigger' image @5mp (i.e. it will print bigger = zoom). The image has not been resized as described above, just cropped (and it wont have the 'averaging' that the unzoomed 5mp has).

tomos:
okay,
I've been procrastinating :-[

Here's how it normally works:

and here is how 3x zoom works:

... and digital zoom would be the reverse of (a) with the enlarged image then cropped to 5mp size
[edit] where e.g. a 5mp image is resized to, say a 20mp and then cropped to show a detail at 5mp (it *always* looks crappy!) [/edit]

Curt:
An article evaluating PureView is below.
Innovation or hype? Ars examines Nokia’s 41 megapixel smartphone camera - Ars Technica-Arizona Hot (January 23, 2013, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was impressed & pleased, how thorough the article's two pages are. Really interesting stuff.  :up:

Thank you for pointing!

Edited:
I was also pleased that Readability (for Firefox) automatically merged the two pages into a single:
http://www.readability.com/articles/fanix630
or http://www.readability.com/read?url=http%3A//arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/03/innovation-or-hype-ars-examines-nokias-41-megapixel-smartphone-camerainnovation-or-hype-ars-examines-nokias-41-megapixel-smartphone-camera/

jpfx:
I have a nokia 808 pureview.
It's an excellent phone and a phenomenal phone camera. symbian was axed, it hasn't died. there's millions of users worldwide if you can look beyond your own borders.

Arizona Hot:
I presume ther will be some interest here in Nokia's new Windows 8 Lumia 1020 41-megapixel cameraphone when it starts selling July 26. It will come in black or white as well as the yellow the writers got.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

What's old -- and new -- about the Nokia Lumia 1020's camera  Cell Phones - CNET Reviews

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version