topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tiny addin to the massive NOTE TAKING Thread  (Read 3167 times)

himagain

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tiny addin to the massive NOTE TAKING Thread
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:26 PM »
A little late to the party and a USER not a CODER:

I write voluminously for three reasons:
1. I am a Writer
2. I am an Aetiologist (I have to know things, everything!)
3. I am getting old and I have a fading memory

Oh, and it's also how I make my living, such as it is these days. :-)
The complications created by the above three reasons mean that I do need what is really some sort of a secondary brain structure with a good memory.
  The nearest I have been able to come to in external tools are the following:
1. Zemanta
2. Zotero
3. QuoteURLtext
4. Jarte
5. StickyPad
6. Screenshotcaptor
7. CopyShortURL
8. Windows Live Writer

My most critical tool of all Is Dragon NaturallyPreferred voice to text program. (Does tend to make me a little more verbose than I probably should be :-))

1. Zemanta has been my second greatest find since Dragon. It monitors what I write in Windows Live Writer and instantly does a search for relevant material across the Internet.
2. Zotero. For greater precision and annotations in technical searches.
3. QuoteURLText. This little utility is what keeps me using Firefox for the Internet. It allows me to select text on a page of a website, collect the URL, and auto insert specifically formatted detail into Jarte or any program of choice.
4. Jarte is a brilliant replacement for windows WordPad with very valuable additional attributes for file management.
5. Sticky pad. What else can I say?
6. ScreenshotCaptor. Should be a big improvement for me over my old Microsoft version.
7. CopyShortUrl. Very useful for condensing very long URLs cleverly. I only wish it could be automatically added to QuoteURLText.
8. Windows Live Writer. A very useful adjunct to Zemanta as both a quick tool for posting to WordPress or simply as a MS Word document.

Codicil : remember, these are the best tools That I have come up with during the last 10 years or so as a typically non-tech user.

For many, many years my mainstay for all bits and pieces collections of information was a program called NoteTabPro.

Just recently I was at a function where there were many old members from a Computer Internet Users Club that I started as a consequence of giving free introductory lessons to using the Internet at my city library. In discussion I learned that many of them were still using the programs that I taught them to use in those very early days notably amongst which was NoteTabPpro!

There we are, FWIW - my small contribution from the other side.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tiny addin to the massive NOTE TAKING Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32 PM »
I like Zotero too.
It has a standalone program that syncs with the add-on.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:29 AM »
2. I am an Aetiologist (I have to know things, everything!)

-is that medical or philosophical theories? Because if it is a philosophy, my ignorance makes me fail to see the difference from Ontology. Care to explain to the unlearned knowingless?

-----------
Thanks for telling about QuoteURLtext, https://addons.mozil.../addon/quoteurltext/ ,  - I need such feature. I use the excellent Auto Context, https://addons.mozil.../addon/auto-context/ , for saving text snippets, but it is lacking the "get URL"-feature. By the way, Auto Context works flawlessly on all Firefox versions, even though Mozilla keeps saying it is too old. But of course, one will need an application like Nightly Tester Tools, https://addons.mozil...ightly-tester-tools/ , merely to install Auto Context.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:53 AM »
Thanks but there are gaps in your post.

(I apologize if this comes off rude but it's written like an ad for NoteTabPro)

Zemanta -> Live Writer description. That makes sense.

Zotero, QuoteURLText, CopyShortUrl, ScreenshotCaptor... again all makes sense.

Then it starts breaking:

Sticky pad. What else can I say?

umm...like why do you need Jarte when you have StickyPad?

Jarte is a brilliant replacement for windows WordPad with very valuable additional attributes for file management.

so...umm...do you use NoteTab Pro as a primary brain...pad?

A html editor? (Aren't you already using Windows Live Writer if it's just for writing and not coding?)

...and how do you manage files with Jarte?

Don't get me wrong. NoteTabPro is extremely powerful but it's power also means that it can create a different writing (not coding) workflow from someone who uses Jarte or Stickypad. It's very weird for someone to create a set of simple programs and then to segway into an advanced program like NoteTabPro without explaining the synergy between NoteTabPro's advanced features to the rest of the list.

In fact, any one of those programs except NoteTabPro don't need any explanations. You can find out that Jarte is a Wordpad replacement for example by just downloading Jarte. NoteTabPro not at all. It is a full featured Wiki, has a Clipbook, Mathematical Expressions and 
a different Find and Replace.

If there's one software that you needed to explain your usage, it's NoteTabPro.