topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Best Of: text editors  (Read 137340 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Best Of: text editors
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2013, 02:34 PM »
OO!!  One of the very few editors with ftp access built in.  Very tempting just for that.
I see that as a kind of anti-feature, aimed at disorganized PHP developers :)
LOL! That was cold! ;D Likely true. :Thmbsup: But still cold. ;D
Well, sorry.

But once you've seen enough people that directly edit their scripts webpages on production servers, don't have any VCS, and only occasionally do backups in zipfiles (with no coherent naming schemes...), you kinda start to disapprove of built-in ftp support :)

No need to apologize over that observation. ;D :Thmbsup:

Not that I can really blame the pHp crowd. Just like you can't be a good employee if you're working for a bad company - you can't become an elegant programmer if you're working with something like pHp. At least from my experience with it. pHp is easily the least elegant of any computer language I've ever seen. And I've worked with COBOL, Basic, and APL so I know ugly when I see it. But in this case, it's more than just the syntax. It's the whole design of the thing (or possibly lack thereof) that makes me want to scream every time I see a listing of pHp code. It's brought the concept of 'quick & dirty' and 'fix it later' programming to a whole new level AFAIC. ;)

interesting!  I've never said so, but as a non programmer, I've always hated even dealing with php, or even looking at it.  I even hate having to cut/paste it around.  looks awful to me.