topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Valve is looking for beta-testers for Steam Linux client  (Read 8380 times)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Valve is looking for beta-testers for Steam Linux client
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:18 AM »
We're looking for Linux gamers to install and test our new Steam for Linux client. We are primarily interested in experienced Linux users.

In order to take the survey, you need to first login with your Steam account to link your response with your Steam ID.

http://www.valvesoft....com/linuxsurvey.php

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Valve is looking for beta-testers for Steam Linux client
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Like Linux. Don't care for Steam. Think I'll pass. ;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:22 PM »
All I want is Portal native. Gimme.

Thanks for the link Ath, I'd seen this on the blog a while ago, and emailed, but I didn't know there was an official entry.

@40Hz: I totally dig where you're coming from, and would abstain as well if I weren't so into what it means in the larger picture.  Yes, I've read the FSF's take on it, and even hammered on a few of my own points a few times, but what this means is more than just a few more registrations at the Linux counter.  Can't explain it really, but I feel this is going to be big...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:36 AM »

@40Hz: I totally dig where you're coming from, and would abstain as well if I weren't so into what it means in the larger picture.  Yes, I've read the FSF's take on it, and even hammered on a few of my own points a few times, but what this means is more than just a few more registrations at the Linux counter.  Can't explain it really, but I feel this is going to be big...

Probably will be. More because it gives the Linux community something it currently doesn't have as opposed to giving it something really good. Most of the reaction I've seen in the Nix community conjures up mental images of a herd of 13-year old boys who have just been told they're going to their first wet t-shirt contest.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hung up on the FSF/GNU argument. The "totally free" argument isn't something I think apples to games all that much. Games are entertainment products. Unlike an OS, you don't need to have them. And my attitude has always been that every developer should have the absolute right to determine terms of use for their product. Just as their potential customers have the right to negotiate and either accept what's been negotiated or walk away.

My reluctance to embrace Steam is purely for technical reasons - mostly because of the sporadic problems I've encountered while using it. :mrgreen:

--------------

@Edvard - Note: did you see this post yet? Check out the site mentioned there. :up:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:58 AM »
Yes, I've read the FSF's take on it, and even hammered on a few of my own points a few times, but what this means is more than just a few more registrations at the Linux counter. 

Actually, I think they alienate more than a few people (including me) with their definition of "Free".  No matter what they might say on the matter, there's a whole wide range of software that is "Free", and its pretty insulting to the devs (IMO) to say that they aren't just because they can't/won't release the source.  That's why I have a hard time reading (or supporting) anything they say, unfortunately.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:40 PM »
While I think games and such have a right to not be free, the fact it is the most gigantic market out there at present. If they continue to be locked to Windows and Mac, you'll have a monopoly. Today, we at least have the luck of installing what we want on our Linux and Macs, but in the future the giants want it all to go through their stores.

The sooner that Linux becomes at least a casual-to-frequent gamer platform, the better it is for the entire market, regardless of the closed status of the games themselves. Microsoft understood it very well once upon a time: an OS is useful without apps. And the more of a users needs can be catered to, the more successful the OS will be.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:00 PM »
While I think games and such have a right to not be free, the fact it is the most gigantic market out there at present. If they continue to be locked to Windows and Mac, you'll have a monopoly. Today, we at least have the luck of installing what we want on our Linux and Macs, but in the future the giants want it all to go through their stores.

There's too many large segments (and too much money) that aren't onboard with this whole thing to think that they have ultimate power.  This is one of the reasons that I'm glad for digital distribution of games - if you think they're going to just roll over, then look at live for windows.  And game center.  I really don't think they're going for that in terms of the desktop... but again, time will tell.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Steam for Linux limited beta has officially begun!

The Valve Linux team is proud to announce the launch of a limited access beta for its new Steam for Linux client.
The Steam for Linux Beta client supports the free-to-play game Team Fortress 2. Approximately two dozen additional Steam titles are now also available for play on Ubuntu. Additionally, the Steam for Linux Beta client includes Big Picture, the mode of Steam designed for use with a TV and controller, also currently in beta.

http://steamcommunit.../1783684045487052635

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:03 PM »
No email yet  :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 02:28 PM »
No email yet  :(

From some of the comments being posted over at Steam it sounds like they've already closed the beta group to new testers.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 08:37 PM »
It's a closed, limited beta. Patience. . .

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Steam for Linux (beta) is now available for everyone:

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 02:05 AM »
Steam for Linux (beta) is now available for everyone:

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Downloaded.  8)

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:08 PM »
... And for those who don't use ubuntu, don't despair.
It runs on Gentoo Linux too now :)

Screenie:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Still haven't managed to hack it into my Debian box yet.  Mostly due to lack of time, but one of these days...