ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer science student expelled for testing university software security

<< < (14/22) > >>

Carol Haynes:
How about looking at this from the other side - university says it is OK to do this sort of thing (which is what a slap on the wrist would say) it would be open season for students to try out hacking skills with no comeback. It would set a terrible president to allow illegal activity to go unpunished.

Having said that if the university had any sense they would have invited him to help with checking the hole wa fixed after he reported it initially.

cmpm:
i don't see anything in that list that deserves to be covered up and hidden as secret and explained away as: "we have secret reasons that justify expulsion but we're not going to tell you what they are."
--- End quote ---

That is a good point.

And the fact (if it is true, according to available facts) that Skytech is offering him a job leads me to think 'it' was not very harmful to anyone or any property.

40hz:
@Mouser - FWIW I am on record a few posts back for saying I thought the response seemed unusually harsh and possibly excessive based on the facts made public so far.  :)

I get no joy out of punishing people. Even those who might actually "deserve it."  It's just not my 'thing' personally. I find the act of punishing somebody a depressing experience more than it is anything else.

Renegade:
but i think we cannot let big organizations get away with this weasel behavior of saying: "trust us, if we explained to you the real reasons behind our actions you would understand, but we've decided we are not going to tell you the real reasons because [insert bullshit lie here]".
-mouser (January 22, 2013, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

THAT! Yes! That!  :Thmbsup:

+1

40hz:
but i think we cannot let big organizations get away with this weasel behavior of saying: "trust us, if we explained to you the real reasons behind our actions you would understand, but we've decided we are not going to tell you the real reasons because [insert bullshit lie here]".
-mouser (January 22, 2013, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

THAT! Yes! That!  :Thmbsup:

+1

-Renegade (January 22, 2013, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

All too true.

But that's been the historic response whenever arbitrary acts of authority get challenged. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version