ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer science student expelled for testing university software security

<< < (4/22) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I'm familiar with the rap...

I have very little sympathy for this particular kid's self-caused problems even if I do think the school's response borders on being capricious and excessive.-40hz (January 21, 2013, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D (Do I even have to say it...?) Exxaactly ... Hence my comment about "Counting Coo". Sit the boy down, have a little quality "Scared Straight" lecture time with him, and then... Let. It. Go. They didn't need to crucify his ass. That just invites a PR nightmare...Kinda like what they appear to be having a bit of now.

mouser:
Audio interview with the sudent:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Quebec/Daybreak+Montreal/ID/2327525012/

mouser:
The fact that he, on his own, informed them about the vulnerabilities the first time, tells you everything you need to know about his intentions, his moral character, and the nature of the "threat" he supposedly posed.

The more I read about this the angrier I get.. I guess it hits close to home for me -- I could easily see this happening to me or any other student in the computer science departments that i've attended.  In fact I can easily see myself or friends *not* reporting such a discovery and being curious about what else was exposed.. Absolutely disgraceful behavior from the university -- I hope the CS students in that department start protesting loudly until its reversed -- and even then every professor in that department who voted for his expulsion should be treated with suspicion.

It would be nice to hear from the one CS faculty who among his appears did NOT vote for expulsion.  If anyone finds an interview of him I'd love to read it.  We need to celebrate those willing to stand up to this bureaucratic group-think like cowardly behavior.

cmpm:
Most universities these days are also hosting critical and sensitive research projects; running important internal programs (accounting & payroll); and frequently leasing out computer resources on contract to local businesses and government agencies along with the expertise to maintain such systems.

--- End quote ---

If these programs are not separate from student user accounts, then the university and Skytech and Omnivox Consulting are not very smart about much of anything. And have bigger issues that are not solved by expelling a student.

Stoic Joker:
The fact that he, on his own, informed them about the vulnerabilities the first time, tells you everything you need to know about his intentions, his moral character, and the nature of the "threat" he supposedly posed.-mouser (January 21, 2013, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Agreed. Now if he'd have polked it twice all sneeky and quiet...then I'd be up for a BBQ. But that ain't what happened.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version