ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?

<< < (10/12) > >>

barney:
;D  I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.  ;D  That's okay... I use or need most of these daily... so I'll just live with the slow starts.   :)   For me, anyway, it's easier to click on a pre-loaded tray icon... than it is to track it down in the Start Menu.
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

As I was reminded recently - here on DC, as a matter of fact - you can stagger the start times of those programs.  The sluggishness is, usually, due to everything trying to start at once.  If you offset the start times - say by a minute each - your perceived startup will be much speedier.  Or, you could get a software like Chameleon Task Manager - not the Malwarebytes launcher - to make staggering startup times a bit easier.  Either way, you can start using your system much sooner, even though stuff is still loading.  Changed my usage from starting ~ten (10) minutes after boot to start using ~three (3) minutes after boot.  Amazing how much you can get done in a mere seven (7) minutes  :P.

Note:  if you go the staggered startup route, play with it a bit ... changing the start order can significantly affect total startup time.

Tinman57:

Thanks for the links, Tinman57, I visited both.  However... they seem to be a bit out-dated?  Would you happen to have other more current sites?   :tellme:

As far as being a waste of money... ?  It's a HUGE waste of money ... But.  As you may recall... I was duped into thinking that this SpeedMaxPc was offered/recommended/endorsed by Windows Help & Support.  And the three misleading steps, in the blue box, is where my Odyssey began.  Step 1: I downloaded and installed;  Step 2: I clicked Scan;  Step 3: I clicked Fix All.
This is when another window opened saying I had to buy the full version to continue.   :(

This wasn't totally unexpected, on my part, because I didn't remember seeing the word free anywhere on their web page.  (I had closed my browser before the install and I didn't go back a check)

So...... I paid the ransom... and now I'm trying to get it back.   :-[   It was way less than $440.05 .... it was more like two and a half cases of beer worth?   ;D

And... as far as Freebies doing the same thing... hopefully they don't... 'cause this one deleted some files I NEEDED to run other programs I have.  >:(   Thankfully System Restore fixed that.   :D-crabby3 (January 23, 2013, 06:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
  With the way you described how they got you to pay for it, there was a lawsuit on this same scam about 5 years ago and the Justice Department forced them to refund all the money.

You can do a simple internet search for more recent sites.

As far as anti-viruses go, NEVER have more than ONE anti-virus installed on your system.  They "fight" each other and cause a lot of problems.

Spybot S&D is a good anti-malware app, I use it myself.  However, the Tea-Timer part of it will eat up a lot of memory and CPU cycles, so I wouldn't suggest letting it run at startup.

If your system is taking 11 - 15 minutes to start up, then you definitely have problems. My XP SP3 machine boots up in under 3 minutes, with the desktop showing up in a little under a minute.

I personally clean my registry every couple of weeks using Eusing and Wise registry cleaners.  You would be amazed at all the crap that's left over in the registry from apps and the system, that when left alone slows your system down to a crawl.  And then there's the hard drive optimization.  I run Defraggler every couple of weeks to keep my drive in tip-top shape, which also speeds up things a lot.

I don't know about Vista and above, you would have to do some research to find out if it's needed on those OS's.

app103:
;D  I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.  ;D  That's okay... I use or need most of these daily... so I'll just live with the slow starts.   :)   For me, anyway, it's easier to click on a pre-loaded tray icon... than it is to track it down in the Start Menu.
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

As I was reminded recently - here on DC, as a matter of fact - you can stagger the start times of those programs.  The sluggishness is, usually, due to everything trying to start at once.  If you offset the start times - say by a minute each - your perceived startup will be much speedier.  Or, you could get a software like Chameleon Task Manager - not the Malwarebytes launcher - to make staggering startup times a bit easier.  Either way, you can start using your system much sooner, even though stuff is still loading.  Changed my usage from starting ~ten (10) minutes after boot to start using ~three (3) minutes after boot.  Amazing how much you can get done in a mere seven (7) minutes  :P.

Note:  if you go the staggered startup route, play with it a bit ... changing the start order can significantly affect total startup time.
-barney (January 23, 2013, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wrote Lacuna Launcher specifically for that purpose, because by staggering out the launching of apps I was able to avoid issues with apps having missing tray icons, if they were not all competing to get their icon in the tray at the same time.

All you have to do is put the path to everything in a text file, then create a shortcut to Lacuna Launcher in the startup folder, edit the shortcut to add the command line parameters to point to your text file (and configure the initial pause time and time between launches). Then just remove all the original shortcuts from the startup folder (you should have them all in your text file), so all you have left in there is the one to Lacuna Launcher.

Since it's all in a single text file, changing the startup order is as easy as rearranging the lines. I keep a shortcut to the text file on my taskbar to make it quicker to add/remove/rearrange stuff.

crabby3:
@ app103

;D Maybe not safe for work

The Killer Biscuits is really funny except for the last sentence.  IMO ditzy is ditzy no matter the hair (dye) color or gender.   :)

Or maybe it's from the '50s when that concept was more widely accepted?   :huh:

mwb1100:
@ app103

;D Maybe not safe for work

The Killer Biscuits is really funny except for the last sentence.  IMO ditzy is ditzy no matter the hair (dye) color or gender.   :)

Or maybe it's from the '50s when that concept was more widely accepted?   :huh:
-crabby3 (January 24, 2013, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

???

Did I miss something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version