ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?

<< < (9/12) > >>

tomos:
^ I think it's pretty clear what they do - and what they probably dont (refund) :(

I dont think a cleaner programme will make much difference to your system.
If you want to clear out temporary internet files a quick search will tell you where they are for each browser.

I personally normally never use cleaner-type programmes; I also never normally use anything that claims to fix my registry (note: I did do both when clearing out this virus on a friend laptop).

I would personally removing Spybot S&D (that's an easy choice as it's generally considered of not much use these days; also disabling it will make a difference to startup).
*Personally* I'd also remove one of the other Spyware programmes - or another good option would be to turn off the real-time scanning on one of them.

crabby3:
^ I think it's pretty clear what they do - and what they probably dont (refund) :(

I dont think a cleaner programme will make much difference to your system.
If you want to clear out temporary internet files a quick search will tell you where they are for each browser.

I personally normally never use cleaner-type programmes; I also never normally use anything that claims to fix my registry (note: I did do both when clearing out this virus on a friend laptop).

I would personally removing Spybot S&D (that's an easy choice as it's generally considered of not much use these days; also disabling it will make a difference to startup).
*Personally* I'd also remove one of the other Spyware programmes - or another good option would be to turn off the real-time scanning on one of them.
-tomos (January 23, 2013, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

'sup, tomos.

My Refund-Quest is on-going... stay tuned...

I uninstalled SpyBot S&D yesterday, just before shut-down, and today my start-up was much faster.  It went from about 15 minutes to around 10 or 11.

What exactly would I gain by turning off one of the remaining three (2 malware, 1 AV) real-time scanners?  MBAM is supposed to be compatable with other malware or AV programs.

tomos:
What exactly would I gain by turning off one of the remaining three (2 malware, 1 AV) real-time scanners?
-crabby3 (January 23, 2013, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speed.

I think maywarebytes has a better reputation than SUPERAntiSpyware. Having three scanning simultaneously will slow things down and might not necessarily be of any more help than just having the real-time protection of two.

But again, it's your call :)

edit/ PS 10 or 11 minutes is still a very long time for startup :-\

crabby3:
What exactly would I gain by turning off one of the remaining three (2 malware, 1 AV) real-time scanners?
-crabby3 (January 23, 2013, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speed.

I think maywarebytes has a better reputation than SUPERAntiSpyware. Having three scanning simultaneously will slow things down and might not necessarily be of any more help than just having the real-time protection of two.

But again, it's your call :)

edit/ PS 10 or 11 minutes is still a very long time for startup :-\
-tomos (January 23, 2013, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

My PC slow-down has been so gradual I don't remember how long it should be.  What's the rough average for a 4GB RAM laptop?   :huh:

x16wda:
For what it's worth, I tend to use Bleachbit for cleaning up various junk/temp files occasionally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version