ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?

<< < (8/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I quit dumping the prefetch folder back in the XP days (as it's self cleaning), and I usually dump the Windows temp manually so I can get some idea of what sort of history the machine has had.

cmpm:
Thanks, One thing I like about CleanUp! Is I can run it in demo mode, and it shows what files it would have deleted. And it shows a report in real mode too, but after I have cleaned. This is one thing that TFC lacks is a report of files deleted, like CCleaner.

crabby3:
THIRD QUOTE:
I'll try to find out today if SpeedMaxPc is a scam or not... and report back here... good or bad.   :) or :(
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

well, either way it's in the grey zone:

* misleading banner
* didnt help your PC
* probably did a major registry cleanup which can help things, but can easily totally screw up your pc
* very dubious sales practices
I'm sure theres more...
-tomos (January 22, 2013, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

SpeedMaxPc's Tech-Support page is back on-line today... sort-of.  The page text is off-center to the left and this was at the top - Notice: Undefined variable: entryPointId in D:\websites\shared\support\premiumSupportLogin.php on line 6  I guess this is the reason why the text is off-center?   :tellme:

Anyway... I entered my License Key... but it didn't accept it.   ;D  Surprise - Surprise - Surprise    ;D      (Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.)

I submitted a question, which was my only other option, and it said  "A support team member will respond to your inquiry within 24 hours."  I won't hold my breath.   :( ;D

Their Contact Us page looks real.  Would scammers go this far... just to screw-over their product buyers?   :huh:

Tinman57:
  I've heard a lot of bad things about SpeedMaxPC, like:

SpeedMaxPc (also called as Speed Max Pc) is a program, which is presented as PC optimization tool. According to its owners, this program is designed for 'everyday PC user that enjoys productivity at an enjoyable pace'. However, the reason why we have included this program into our data base is very simple - just like many other PC optimization tools, this one fails to find the biggest part of the PC bugs that can be found on it and sometimes even reports about invented errors. We can say that it hasn't been very successful when we were testing it on our hard drive and registry some days ago. Besides, this program clearly slows the system down instead of making it faster. If you have already paid for the registered version of SpeedMaxPc, we recommend contacting its owners to get your money back. However, according to some of its unhappy customers, it may be almost impossible to contact the company for the refund.
--- End quote ---
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-speedmaxpc.html

AND

speedmaxpc/Qresolve scammed out of $440.05 by so called technicians!!! Internet

--- End quote ---

http://www.ripoffreport.com/computer-fraud/speedmaxpc-qresolve/speedmaxpc-qresolve-scammed-o-1e13e.htm

They also "PAY" for people to write favorable reviews and post them on their websites, which is standard for a lot of software companies, which isn't Truth in Advertising.

Persally I think it's a waste of money considering all the quality freeware out there that does the same thing that they advertise.

crabby3:
 I've heard a lot of bad things about SpeedMaxPC, like:

SpeedMaxPc (also called as Speed Max Pc) is a program, which is presented as PC optimization tool. According to its owners, this program is designed for 'everyday PC user that enjoys productivity at an enjoyable pace'. However, the reason why we have included this program into our data base is very simple - just like many other PC optimization tools, this one fails to find the biggest part of the PC bugs that can be found on it and sometimes even reports about invented errors. We can say that it hasn't been very successful when we were testing it on our hard drive and registry some days ago. Besides, this program clearly slows the system down instead of making it faster. If you have already paid for the registered version of SpeedMaxPc, we recommend contacting its owners to get your money back. However, according to some of its unhappy customers, it may be almost impossible to contact the company for the refund.
--- End quote ---
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-speedmaxpc.html

AND

speedmaxpc/Qresolve scammed out of $440.05 by so called technicians!!! Internet

--- End quote ---

http://www.ripoffreport.com/computer-fraud/speedmaxpc-qresolve/speedmaxpc-qresolve-scammed-o-1e13e.htm

They also "PAY" for people to write favorable reviews and post them on their websites, which is standard for a lot of software companies, which isn't Truth in Advertising.

Persally I think it's a waste of money considering all the quality freeware out there that does the same thing that they advertise.
-Tinman57 (January 22, 2013, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the links, Tinman57, I visited both.  However... they seem to be a bit out-dated?  Would you happen to have other more current sites?   :tellme:

As far as being a waste of money... ?  It's a HUGE waste of money ... But.  As you may recall... I was duped into thinking that this SpeedMaxPc was offered/recommended/endorsed by Windows Help & Support.  And the three misleading steps, in the blue box, is where my Odyssey began.  Step 1: I downloaded and installed;  Step 2: I clicked Scan;  Step 3: I clicked Fix All.
This is when another window opened saying I had to buy the full version to continue.   :(

This wasn't totally unexpected, on my part, because I didn't remember seeing the word free anywhere on their web page.  (I had closed my browser before the install and I didn't go back a check)

So...... I paid the ransom... and now I'm trying to get it back.   :-[   It was way less than $440.05 .... it was more like two and a half cases of beer worth?   ;D

And... as far as Freebies doing the same thing... hopefully they don't... 'cause this one deleted some files I NEEDED to run other programs I have.  >:(   Thankfully System Restore fixed that.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version