ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?

<< < (6/12) > >>

tomos:
I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Spybot S&D is not up to much these days - what do you use/need it for?

I dunno if it's a good idea to run two seperate antispyware/antimalware apps. => Maybe someone more expert will comment <=

LAST PART:[/b]
I was in a bit-of-a-panic when SpeedMaxPc deleted stuff I wanted or needed... so I didn't sit and think about... I just picked the first System Restore Point before the SpeedMaxPc install.  (It was the only Windows System Restore Point listed ...
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 05:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

if you're worried about this, you could go back into system restore and check what is on offer - the first one shown should probably be the one you used. Check it's date. Was it before, during, or after the virus?

SECOND QUOTE:[/b]
Why doesn't it have anything to do with Microsoft?  I know SpeedMaxPc isn't a Microsoft product... but why would they allow SpeedMaxPc to use their Windows Help & Support header... if it wasn't at least endorsed by Microsoft?   :tellme
--- End quote ---

that's part of the scam... (it's just an image they stuck up there. MS probably doesnt have time/interest to go after these people.)

crabby3:
I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.
--- End quote ---

I dunno if it's a good idea to run two seperate antispyware/antimalware apps. => Maybe someone more expert will comment <=

I was in a bit-of-a-panic when SpeedMaxPc deleted stuff I wanted or needed... so I didn't sit and think about... I just picked the first System Restore Point before the SpeedMaxPc install.  (It was the only Windows System Restore Point listed ...
--- End quote ---

if you're worried about this, you could go back into system restore and check what is on offer - the first one shown should probably be the one you used. Check it's date. Was it before, during, or after the virus?

Why doesn't it have anything to do with Microsoft?  I know SpeedMaxPc isn't a Microsoft product... but why would they allow SpeedMaxPc to use their Windows Help & Support header... if it wasn't at least endorsed by Microsoft?   :tellme
--- End quote ---

that's part of the scam... (it's just an image they stuck up there. MS probably doesnt have time/interest to go after these people.)
-tomos (January 22, 2013, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

SpyBot S&D was the first anti-malware program I installed, but I haven't used it since I got Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware so I may uninstall it.

The SuperAnti-Spyware website says it's "...Designed not to conflict with your existing anti-spyware or anti-virus solution!" so I thought I'd add it to my collection.

NOTE: I just posted this by mistake so I'll continue my feedback further down....   :-[

crabby3:
I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.
--- End quote ---

I was in a bit-of-a-panic when SpeedMaxPc deleted stuff I wanted or needed... so I didn't sit and think about... I just picked the first System Restore Point before the SpeedMaxPc install.  (It was the only Windows System Restore Point listed ...
--- End quote ---

Why doesn't it have anything to do with Microsoft?  I know SpeedMaxPc isn't a Microsoft product... but why would they allow SpeedMaxPc to use their Windows Help & Support header... if it wasn't at least endorsed by Microsoft?   :tellme
--- End quote ---

-tomos (January 22, 2013, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

SpyBot S&D was the first anti-malware program I installed, but I haven't used it since I got Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware so I may uninstall it.

The SuperAnti-Spyware website says it's "...Designed not to conflict with your existing anti-spyware or anti-virus solution!" so I thought I'd add it to my collection.

NOTE: I just posted this by mistake so I'll continue my feedback further down....   :-[
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

SECOND QUOTE:
I think the System Restore date I chose was after MBAM's Chameleon had *killed the process*.  Yeah... it had to be because the newest version of MBAM was still on my desktop after the restore.   :)
This doesn't mean I don't have other issues... I just don't have the FBI SCAM issue any more.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank .  ..  .....   (Jaws 2)

THIRD QUOTE:
I'll try to find out today if SpeedMaxPc is a scam or not... and report back here... good or bad.   :) or :(

tomos:
THIRD QUOTE:
I'll try to find out today if SpeedMaxPc is a scam or not... and report back here... good or bad.   :) or :(
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

well, either way it's in the grey zone:

* misleading banner
* didnt help your PC
* probably did a major registry cleanup which can help things, but can easily totally screw up your pc
* very dubious sales practices
I'm sure theres more...

crabby3:
crabby3, There is no "SpeedUp" for windows program that works.
Even if it is endorsed by Microsoft.
Don't believe everything you read on the net.

The simple way would be to reinstall windows.
If you don't want to do that, try TFC.
A temporary file cleaner.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

Read about what it will clean.
Search the net for info about it.
Ask on sites where you value their opinion.
Then, maybe, download and run it.
-cmpm (January 22, 2013, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can't easily reinstall a clean copy of Windows because my machine didn't come with System Restore CD's and I've never run a backup of my own.   :(   Plus... I don't really want to have to reinstall all of the other programs I have added.  IMO this seems like a last-resort fix ... and I don't think I'm that far gone yet.

This TFC seems/reads like it does the same thing as Windows Disk Cleanup... but it just concentrates on all temp file only... is this assumption correct?   :tellme:     I value your opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version