ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?

<< < (5/12) > >>

Tinman57:
And I want the anti-malware to do that without it making my system slow or unstable (and ideally to do this without bugging me with a lot of questions I can't answer anyway).

That may be a tall order, but that's what I want.-mwb1100 (January 21, 2013, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you'd be happy with the free version of Avast! Anti-Virus.  It don't slow my system at all unless I'm doing a complete manual system scan.  The pro-version has a bunch of bells and whistles that you may or may not use.  You can read all about it on their website.

My free firewall, Comodo, also stops a lot of malware with it's system defense and sandbox.  Comodo also includes an anti-virus, but I can't claim how good it may or may not be since I don't use it.  I'm pretty much hooked on Avast!

crabby3:
I missed your earlier post about SpeedMaxPc:

I've no idea who SpeedMaxPc are but I wouldnt trust them an inch!!
Even if they arent trying to scam you in any way (and they may well be trying to scam you), their methods can be dangerous for your computer.

BTW   SpeedMaxPc's Tech-support page was 'Off-Line' yesterday and also today ... so maybe it's just another scam too.  Hopefully it's just because of the USA Holiday Weekend (MLK).
-crabby3 (January 21, 2013, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
maybe you were just checking but please dont try and get help from them...

I know you can't believe everything you see or read on the web ... but I thought Windows Help & Support could be trusted.   :(   Not so!   >:(-crabby3 (January 20, 2013, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Note: that's got nothing to do with Microsoft !!

One last point - you've probably taken this into account but I say *in case*: you gotta be very careful using system restore after having had a virus - that you dont reintroduce anything. One of the things I did was to turn it off completely and then on again - in order to delete any restore points that might have been infected.
-tomos (January 21, 2013, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

TOP PART:
I wish we lived nextdoor to each other, tomos, so I could just trot over and bug you with endless questions...  unfortunately we don't.   :(
So I come here to DC seeking *after-the-fact* advice.   :)

FIRST QUOTE:
Yesterday and the day before I visited SpeedMaxPc's Tech-Support page to try to find a way to contact them directly via email or phone.  They offered a 30-day Money Back Guarantee on their product... and I wanted my money back.   ;D  After I had, downloaded, installed and ran a scam scan... I found out I had to buy the full version to *fix* the stuff it found.  :down:

SECOND QUOTE:
Why doesn't it have anything to do with Microsoft?  I know SpeedMaxPc isn't a Microsoft product... but why would they allow SpeedMaxPc to use their Windows Help & Support header... if it wasn't at least endorsed by Microsoft?   :tellme:

LAST PART:
I was in a bit-of-a-panic when SpeedMaxPc deleted stuff I wanted or needed... so I didn't sit and think about... I just picked the first System Restore Point before the SpeedMaxPc install.  (It was the only Windows System Restore Point listed, BTW, I guess because this *FBI ALERT SCAM* had deleted all the others?)   :o

cmpm:
crabby3, There is no "SpeedUp" for windows program that works.
Even if it is endorsed by Microsoft.
Don't believe everything you read on the net.

The simple way would be to reinstall windows.
If you don't want to do that, try TFC.
A temporary file cleaner.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

Read about what it will clean.
Search the net for info about it.
Ask on sites where you value their opinion.
Then, maybe, download and run it.

crabby3:
Do you have a good anti-virus - as well as having Malwarebytes? I read in the last week (sorry no link) that Malwarebytes real-time protection doesnt actually have the best reputation. It is supposed to work very well though with Microsoft Security Essentials and Avira Anti-Virus (and possibly other Anti-Virus programmes too).

Might be worth looking at your browser settings & add-ons as well. In settings you can usually block popups. Re add-ons, you can get many that are very helpful (adblock plus, flashblock, and ghostery - these are all easy to use and make a huge difference to security).
-tomos (January 21, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have Avast! Internet Security... the paid-for version... with all the bells and whistles.  ;D  Don't know if it's good or bad... but IMO it's better than Norton or McAfee.  I think paint dries faster than Norton's scans and... a couple years back I got a bad update from McAfee that locked-up my machine for 3 days... so they're history too.  Haven't tried any others yet.

In Internet Settings the popup box was already checked and the Blocking Level was set to Medium... should I increase to High?   :tellme:

-------------------------

;D  I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.  ;D  That's okay... I use or need most of these daily... so I'll just live with the slow starts.   :)   For me, anyway, it's easier to click on a pre-loaded tray icon... than it is to track it down in the Start Menu.

tomos:
I think paint dries faster than Norton's scans
-crabby3 (January 22, 2013, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for the laugh of the day ;D

(will reply to other comments shortly)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version