ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?

<< < (4/12) > >>

tomos:
I missed your earlier post about SpeedMaxPc:

I've no idea who SpeedMaxPc are but I wouldnt trust them an inch!!
Even if they arent trying to scam you in any way (and they may well be trying to scam you), their methods can be dangerous for your computer.

BTW   SpeedMaxPc's Tech-support page was 'Off-Line' yesterday and also today ... so maybe it's just another scam too.  Hopefully it's just because of the USA Holiday Weekend (MLK).
-crabby3 (January 21, 2013, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
maybe you were just checking but please dont try and get help from them...

I know you can't believe everything you see or read on the web ... but I thought Windows Help & Support could be trusted.   :(   Not so!   >:(-crabby3 (January 20, 2013, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Note: that's got nothing to do with Microsoft !!

One last point - you've probably taken this into account but I say *in case*: you gotta be very careful using system restore after having had a virus - that you dont reintroduce anything. One of the things I did was to turn it off completely and then on again - in order to delete any restore points that might have been infected.

tomos:
Do you have a good anti-virus - as well as having Malwarebytes? I read in the last week (sorry no link) that Malwarebytes real-time protection doesnt actually have the best reputation. It is supposed to work very well though with Microsoft Security Essentials and Avira Anti-Virus (and possibly other Anti-Virus programmes too).

Might be worth looking at your browser settings & add-ons as well. In settings you can usually block popups. Re add-ons, you can get many that are very helpful (adblock plus, flashblock, and ghostery - these are all easy to use and make a huge difference to security).

Giampy:
The pop-ups appeared today... after I had used Windows System Restore-crabby3 (January 21, 2013, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if there is a link between the two facts.
Has perhaps Windows System Restore recalled a system that was already infected?

tomos:
The pop-ups appeared today... after I had used Windows System Restore-crabby3 (January 21, 2013, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if there is a link between the two facts.
Has perhaps Windows System Restore recalled a system that was already infected?
-Giampy (January 21, 2013, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

my edit overlapped with your post:

One last point - you've probably taken this into account but I say *in case*: you gotta be very careful using system restore after having had a virus - that you dont reintroduce anything. One of the things I did was to turn it off completely and then on again - in order to delete any restore points that might have been infected.
-tomos (January 21, 2013, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

mwb1100:
I read in the last week (sorry no link) that Malwarebytes real-time protection doesnt actually have the best reputation.
-tomos (January 21, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

My impression is that MBAM has a good reputation for dealing with trojans and spyware, but not viruses (it's not intended as an anti-virus). Now let me say that this is one of the problems I have with anti-malware software in general - I don't care whether malware is a trojan, a virus, spyware or something else; I don't even really know or want to know what the differences might be.

All I know is that there's stuff that I don't intend to install on my computer and that I don't want it to be able to 'force' or 'trick' itself onto my computer. What category that malware might fall under is of no concern to me. It's all just garbage that I don't want, and  I just want my antivirus/anti-malware/anti-spyware/whatever to prevent infection and clean up infections that happen.

And I want the anti-malware to do that without it making my system slow or unstable (and ideally to do this without bugging me with a lot of questions I can't answer anyway).

That may be a tall order, but that's what I want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version