ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?

<< < (3/12) > >>

crabby3:
Why is Java so easy to exploit?  Almost all of my AV scans, that find a virus, have something to do with Java.  I have a Java Update, sitting in my tray right now, waiting to be installed.  I put it off because I figured... what's the hurry.  This update may patch a few holes... but what about the other five million.   :P
-crabby3 (January 20, 2013, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

My recommendation is that if you do not need Java installed for one of your desktop applications, uninstall it. And if you do need it, make sure you disable Java from running in any of your browsers. Any website that needs Java to work properly, you probably can live without. And I know you can live without the malware that will seek to exploit Java to get on your system. Malware is a heavy price to pay for viewing an occasional website that might depend on Java to work.
-app103 (January 20, 2013, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, app103, for your recommendations.  I have uninstalled Java from my machine.  Mainly because it was less complicated than disabling it in IE9.  Don't know what desktop apps I have that need it to function but... you're right... I can probably live without 'em.

Thanks again.  :)

----------------------------

Sooooo... I guess nobody really knows why Java is so easy to exploit.... including Sun Microsystems/Oracle Corp.   ;D

----------------------------

Before I deleted Java... I was getting Java Update pop-ups here at DC each time I clicked a blue link.  They looked like the same version I already had and made me suspicious so I *Canceled* each one... and then the links I clicked would open.  They stopped after the uninstall.  I guess these were fake updates?  Malware?  :tellme:

Giampy:
Before I deleted Java... I was getting Java Update pop-ups here at DC each time I clicked a blue link.  They looked like the same version I already had and made me suspicious so I *Canceled* each one... and then the links I clicked would open.  They stopped after the uninstall.  I guess these were fake updates?  Malware?  :tellme:
-crabby3 (January 21, 2013, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks to your caution I believe you have avoided some malware:
http://dottech.org/93867/beware-of-fake-java-update-patch-it-contains-malware

app103:
Now that you have uninstalled Java, you won't have to worry about updating it any more, and any popups offering a Java update should be mistrusted from this point on.

Giampy:
Before I deleted Java... I was getting Java Update pop-ups here at DC each time I clicked a blue link
--- End quote ---

It's not clear: did those pop-ups appear even after you used the antimalware programs? (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SpeedMaxPc)

crabby3:
Before I deleted Java... I was getting Java Update pop-ups here at DC each time I clicked a blue link
--- End quote ---

It's not clear: did those pop-ups appear even after you used the antimalware programs? (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SpeedMaxPc)

-Giampy (January 21, 2013, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

The pop-ups appeared today, Monday - January 21, 2013 (on my part of the Earth), after I had used Windows System Restore to dump SpeedMaxPc and recover the files it had deleted.  And after I had upgraded to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro.  But before... I had uninstalled Java.

NOTE:  I didn't run/install any of them... I clicked the Cancel button on all of them... so I didn't give any of my anti-malware programs a chance to see them.  Including Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro.

Also... I don't think SpeedMaxPc is an anti-malware program.  I think it's more of a post-repair PC Tune-up.

The pop-ups looked a little screwy too.  The little update dialog box was surrounded by a greyed-out area that filled the rest of the screen but I could see the DC page I had clicked on behind it... like looking through sunglasses.  And... I think there was an X in the upper right-hand corner of the grey area.  I tried to screen capture it but something wouldn't let me.
I've seen this greyed-out screen before... when some site is running a survey and wants my opinion.  But not for program updates of any kind.   :huh:

Hope this explains it better.   :)

BTW   SpeedMaxPc's Tech-support page was 'Off-Line' yesterday and also today ... so maybe it's just another scam too.  Hopefully it's just because of the USA Holiday Weekend (MLK).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version