ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WinPatrol Plus or AnVir Task Manager?

<< < (3/6) > >>

cmpm:
This is from support for WinPatrol-

ALERT: Windows Updates from Microsoft this week caused many system files to be uninstalled & replaced. WinPatrol users may see multiple alerts about a program being uninstalled. These messages expected & safe.
Just click OK and know that if these were dangerous attacks you'd be protected.

http://www.billp.com/support.html

I'm not really sure what all that means. ?

I've had a few quirks, like loosing some startup items myself.
Had to add them back in.

Tinman57:
  I've been using WinPatrol Plus (Registered) for years now and wouldn't use my computer without it.  I've only had a couple of minor issues that wasn't the fault of the program and was cured within a day or two.  The author, BillP, actually emails you with helpful information within a day or so after asking for help.  Not only that, but he's a really nice guy too, we have emailed back and forth a few times on non-WinPatrol related things.  He's just a down-home type guy.
  Anyhow, WinPatrol is extremely safe to use and doesn't try to install any crapware.  It has saved my butt on several occasions when apps attempted to do things on my system that wasn't kosher.  The info system is up-to-date and is a big help when trying to figure out what is running in the background and whether it's safe to stop it and such.
  WinPatrol is an integral part of my system.

Joe Hone:
Anyhow, WinPatrol is extremely safe to use and doesn't try to install any crapware. 
-Tinman57 (January 18, 2013, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

AnVir installed 3 utilities all of which scan for various things (registry errors, PC performance, outdated drivers) and then asks for payment/install prior to finishing. That alone is pretty objectionable. I'm still soldiering on with both, but I'm finding WinPatrol gives more alerts, although when AnVir alerts on the same start-up it alerts first. I'm not convinced that makes it the better program, however. 

mwb1100:
AnVir installed 3 utilities all of which scan for various things (registry errors, PC performance, outdated drivers)
-Joe Hone (January 19, 2013, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to use both as well, but then when I checked out an upgrade Anvir did something like that and I dropped it.

Curt:
AnVir installed 3 utilities all of which scan for various things (registry errors, PC performance, outdated drivers) and then asks for payment/install prior to finishing. -Joe Hone (January 19, 2013, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I too would  like programs not to try selling me things I didn't ask for. However, I #know# by experience that such practice is commonly used in the software world, so I always watch carefully what I am clicking "Yes/Okay/Next" to, when I install a program. Of course even more if the program is new to me. Don't you? I mean, you too will say that that software trialing isn't for blind or mindless people, right?

You said "AnVir installed 3 utilities". I say, Yes, that is sad, but first you told it to!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version