ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

problem resizing caption box / object

<< < (4/5) > >>

cathie28:
Have you tried these different options for captions yet?
--- End quote ---
Thanks very much for pointing it out.  'Splains a lot.  :D  However, that's one issue - those options for caption behavior should be on the caption entry UI, where can be seen & quickly changed - not have open options, each time want to change captions prefs.  "Out of sight, out of mind."

No, I haven't.  Partly because of trouble reading the very small, crowded text on some SSC options UIs (as mentioned earlier). BUT here...
mostly because, in several hundred apps, never seen default behavior that might reduce text, any where, to unreadable size.  Most probably wouldn't guess it was an option.  

[/u]"Reduce font size to fit on one line," maybe shouldn't be default.  And / Or have a limit how small it can go.  It WOULD be useful for spy communications.  :)

The captions default, single line, text entry field & instructions are difficult to see / use (likely for many others).  Like writing on a postage stamp.  The pop up box probably should be default entry method, showing actual text size.  Almost no apps behave as SSC for captions or similar features, for a reason.
caption... it's a standard text memo box.
--- End quote ---
IMO, it's anything but standard.  I can't remember any app of any type, that similar function works like SSC.

IMHO, there are some "different than any other app" behaviors like this, that don't make it easier or intuitive.  Just different.  I'd never guess it was intentional, default behavior.   (I don't hate SSC).

I captured a screen that matches actual GUI poor quality for caption entry typed & instructions text, but upload process darkens & actually increases apparent size some.  Dunno.  Reduce the quality of this screen by ~ 40% & size by ~ 25% & that's what I see in the GUI.

cmpm:
So now that you know how to fix the caption box to your specifications, can we move on?, to please show me what you want a "standard text memo box" to look like.

cathie28:
Don't get "snippy" (get it?  snippy... snipping... screen capture).  Ah, forget it.
Trying to provide positive criticism.

1) Increase height should be default behavior - if caption text line is too long.  Probably >80% prefer it.

2) Put options specific to captions formatting, on the captions UI, not in prefs.
If have options for captions like,  "Reduce font size [possibly to 0.5 pt]" or "Nothing", put them on Captions UI - where easily accessible. 

3) Have a standard pop up text entry box w/ the basic, available formatting tools, at top of the text entry box.  Similar to any other apps'.    Never seen a captions "entry box or UI" like SSC's.  But don't hate SSC.  I love's me some SSC. :-*   The one line entry field, w/ tiny font, no line wrap, no idea of how many characters will fit over the width of current image - isn't useful. 

4) Line returns (before text reached end of actual caption box) AND allow paragraphs / blank lines, just as  typing in SSC text boxes allows.
** Makes more sense to add them when composing, so caption height will be increased.  That's how most caption boxes work.

The pop up "ellipsis" caption text entry box has an "oddity."  I realize this is how someone coded it, but "outdated."
** Hitting Enter, ends editing & adds caption to image.  It should just cause line return, as typing in an SSC text box does.

Now, using Shift + Enter in pop up caption box, allows line returns & adding blank line, but then blank lines aren't displayed, in caption.  And no editing caption box.  You CAN edit text in a caption; add blank lines - IF room allows - often doesn't. 

5) Basically, make like SSC's text entry box, but really needs formatting tools *easily available* - somewhere near (as most apps w/ captions do).  Same general behavior as every other app w/ caption or text box entry, of any kind.  No need for "uniqueness" here. 

6) Increase font size on Add Caption UI (& all others).  Even if wanted to use the available commands / fields, can't read them.
** Add Caption UI has many good options - it's not like its UI / font HAS to be so small.  The UI is resizable / draggable - but font remains tiny.  Make font a bit bigger & open a bigger GUI screen, to begin with.

Whether Mr. M wants to do any of this - ever, is his business, but the way captions works now is far behind many SSC's features & clumsy compared to some other apps.  I'd think captions would be one of most used features.  Maybe not.  I use them frequently, so usually use something that makes them very easy - like FastStone 5.3 (ooold free ver).

cmpm:
yeah, i got it :)

cmpm:
cathie28,
it's a caption, or if you prefer, a memo, not a word processor

memo = A memorandum (abbrev.: memo) was from the Latin verbal phrase memorandum est, the gerundive form of the verb memoro, "to mention, call to mind, recount, relate", which means "It must be remembered (that)...". It is therefore a note, document or other communication that helps the memory by recording events or observations on a topic.

caption = Photo captions, also known as cutlines, are a few lines of text used to explain or elaborate on published photographs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version