ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

problem resizing caption box / object

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
Thanks Tomos - I see now the expand canvas ONLY works if you select an object 1st, then click expand canvas.
But what you show is "resizing", not expand canvas.  Resizing most objects works OK for me.
--- End quote ---

this is me being inconsistent in naming things.  the tool that tomos showed, labeled resize canvas, is EXPANDING the canvas.

You'll also find a new "Quick Expand Canvas" on the main edit menu.

Cathie when you say:
I see now the expand canvas ONLY works if you select an object 1st, then click expand canvas.
--- End quote ---

that sounds like you are talking about the menu item under the Object menu labeled "Expand canvas to fit objects" which is a function used specifically when your objects are outside the bounds of the images.

mouser:
I can see the frustration of using the caption feature -- it's not really easy to resize the caption box once it is created, due to the nature of it -- it's basically creating a text box and resizing the canvas as a one time thing, not doing it dynamically as you adjust the caption.  I'll consider something more dynamic, though it wouldn't be trivial to implement so don't hold your breath.  It's possible that a specialty "modify caption size" menu item would be more feasible (though admittedly not ideal).

cathie28:
It's often easier (as things are now) to use a text box, than the caption.  If not enough room on capture for desired text, expanding the canvas (some call that resizing), then adding text box is still (sometimes) easier than using caption.
EDIT 8/6/13_10:30 3:30 PM CDT (tough night!):  SSC's a great app & Mouser (& the Traps) - possibly 1 of greatest programmers of the 19th  21st cent.  Seriously, he's a nice guy.  

Using the pop up "..." box (need better name / icon?  :)), it displays apparent line wrapping in that box?, but when add a caption, if a line's too long, at selected font size, it doesn't use line wrap (as the "ellipsis box" showed).  It reduces the selected font size to something tiny, so longest line fits on one line.  Not useful for a caption.

Most apps' captions auto resize caption box (height) to fit entered text @ selected size.  SSC don't doesn't.  (some capture apps don't have any caption function; or don't resize AFTER adding caption, which is OK, but do size the box according to text & font size).

If it's too much trouble to fix the caption feature, maybe modifications to text box, so it can (if want) function more like typical captions.  Dunno.  Just throwing out ideas.
Except for captions creating their own, new space, the 2 have many similarities.

Quick expand canvas is fine, except most times (I) don't need it on all 4 sides & the expansion size is set.  It'd be fine for fairly short text boxes / "captions," but rest of expansion is often unneeded to add text box.  I guess the quick expansion is more for ???

Screen shows "adjusted" font size, after entering a line too long for caption box.  Original font size selected was 20 (20 what?  Was ~ to 10 or 12 pt.).  Now illegible.
<u>2nd screen </u>shows 20 size Arial font selected.  Also, shows the very small font of caption GUI.  Looks worse than shot looks.  No way <u>I've found</u> to save the screens of *<b>any</b>* app's poor quality GUIs, so when posted, look as poor as actual GUI.  Dunno. 

With great respect for dvally & his book sized magnifying reader  :D, no one could read the down sized font on the caption; font size on add caption UI pretty small, for many to - easily - read.

cmpm:
Have you tried these different options for captions yet?

mouser:
Please note that the caption IS a text memo box -- it is a text box which is automatically placed in a certain position, and canvas automatically expanded to give a place for it.  After that though, it's a standard text memo box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version