ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

problem resizing caption box / object

<< < (2/5) > >>

cathie28:
User's log: Stardate 20130825.12.N.R.D.  Update of request to SSC Command to revamp "Add a Caption" feature.

Adding initial Caption Text w/o wrap ability, at time text is added is very inconvenient & "outdated," compared to most ALL capture / image editing prgms.  Adding captions & process of having to resize canvas AFTER entering text, in order to expand caption box is cumbersome & time consuming.

* Caption box function needs overhaul to be on par w/ most prgms' caption features - even ones as old as FastStone 5.3 (last free ver.).

* Caption box should automatically resize up / down (depending on chosen placement), using wrap, AS text is entered (as most others do).

* Should be option ON the caption entry GUI to change font name / size / color & simple formatting (bold, italics...) as other apps behave, NOT force changing size & formatting from controls OUTSIDE of caption entry GUI.

* Not force a canvas resize, then expanding caption box, then change font size (if desired).  THAT is hit or miss, guessing how much to expand canvas, to fit caption at given font size - not expanding canvas too much / little to fit caption. 

Often requiring 2nd canvas resize, or initially resizing WAY too much, then going thru cropping process to rid extra space.  All more time consuming than most any prgm w/ caption feature.

cathie28 out.

dvally:
 :) Hi cathie28, sounds like you really don't like using SSC. There are other choices, as you mentioned. Some are free and some are paid. I actually bought Snagit from Techsmith, however I find myself using SSC as my default capturing application instead of Snagit. SSC is the one set to start with Windows. On rare occasions, I will use Snagit to capture something I have issues with in SSC. I liked SSC so much that I made a donation to the site! I suppose I could complain about the issues in SSC that cause me to use Snagit occasionally, but I just find a way around them either with another tool or Snagit. It's great to have choices!

I think that the programmer's who provide their expertise to make an application as complicated and useful as SSC deserve our support, but that's just my opinion. I am not a programmer, but I think it would be a really hard task to create a program like SSC that does all of the things it does so well. I'm just wondering if you have any programming experience? Have you ever tried your hand at creating something like this? It appears too daunting for me to try, but I am really greatful for people like Mouser who have the fortitude to create a great program like this and then release it to the public.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to say hello...

dvally

cathie28:
dvally - thanks - I think there was some friendly banter in there, somewhere?

Fact:  A high % of apps - free or not - that take feature requests or bug reports, are often overflowing w/ them.  They don't hate the apps.

Why would it be any different for anyone - like you or Bill Gates to make suggestions or requests for SSC?  "don't mean we hatin' on SSC or Mouser."   
I never said SSC was terrible.  If one doesn't spend much time using an app, they're may not even notice what might be improved or changed. 

IMHO, like most apps - could use some tweakin'.  Don't mean a thing.  Why do the largest, most successful software devs continue to "improve" their GUIs?  They're already successful.
Millions make requests / suggestions for apps - constantly.  Most never get implemented.  If they do, may take yrs.  Everything changes.  The order of the universe.

SSC & some apps may look better / different in W-7, 8 than Vista - dunno.  Some people like gray toolbars w/ gray icons (or black w/ almost black ones).  Some people like purple cars & others - white.
Many others & I  favor icons that, in some cases, are not identical - or nearly so - for different functions.  :)  Many like icons don't almost blend in w/ the background, like camouflage.  Just a thought:  wonder how that affects people w/ color blindness or other vision problems, that aren't related to "distance correction?"  Lots of flavors of vision problems.

Seems like yesterday that people in wheel chairs might be SOL getting in buildings.

On a diff note:  Today, in a school where my spouse taught just a yr ago, there was a fatal stabbing of 1 teen & critical injury of 3 others.  Unclear at this point if all / any were actual students (or just walked in) - but all were young.  For some pupils at some schools, almost like a prison training camp.  [I had a teacher who explained that "student" denoted someone who studied.  Then there are "pupils."  Least, that's what she said.]

cheers,

dvally:
Hello cathie28,

"I never said SSC was terrible.  If one doesn't spend much time using an app, they're may not even notice what might be improved or changed." 
-cathie28 (September 04, 2013, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is true, apologies I didn't mean that the way it came across. I just noticed that you had a number of posts where things didn't seem to be working the way you expected. It sounded like you may have been a little frustrated.

My mistake...

I also sometimes get frustrated with some apps when they don't work the way I expect. I have also submitted a few "improvement" posts.  ;) Typically though, I will try to find something else that works for me. Screenshot captor I guess meets "my" expectations as a really good screen capture tool.

You make many good points in your post, and you are correct in your description of the many ways people see things differently. That's why programming seems such a daunting task to me. It just seems like if I tried my hand at it, I would be able to make what I wanted but it wouldn't be what others consider what they wanted. How do you satisfy everyone's wants and needs and still keep all the functionality and simplicity? But that's just my mind wandering again!

I just wondered if you had programming experience.

I am saddened by your last note about the schools. My heart goes out to those parents who lost a child. It's tragic that schools NEED to install metal detectors and other such methods to keep knives and guns out of schools. But it appears to be a necessity.  :(

Thanks for your reply!

dvally

mouser:
NOTE that sometimes it has a red 'O' overlaid on the arrow, sometimes not (I'm not sure what the difference is).
--- End quote ---

it gets the 'O' as soon as you add any objects in the screenshot that can be edited.  that is, it alerts you when there are objects present on the file you are viewing.  it's a reminder to help remind you to press it to edit them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version